Universal boring head and changing arbor

samthedog

Token Aussie
Registered
Hello gents, a quick question. I have the chance to pick up a D'andrea TA 120 boring head and from what I understand, it seems like you can change the arbor, at least that is what I got from doing a quick google image search:

boring head 1.jpg
boring head 2.jpg

Am I wrong in thinking that this would be the case and not a major issue changing this to fit MT4 for my Deckel FP1?

Paul.

boring head 1.jpg boring head 2.jpg

Most boring heads can be mated with various shank adapters. The question is whether or not there is an MT4 shank adapter available for that boring head, which I highly doubt. On the other hand, if the there is not one available, making one would be a good project.

Most boring heads can be mated with various shank adapters. The question is whether or not there is an MT4 shank adapter available for that boring head, which I highly doubt. On the other hand, if the there is not one available, making one would be a good project.

Thanks for the response Terry. There is a shank available in MT4, however it is not threaded but rather more of a standard MT4 seen on a drill press. It is currently available on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141294544630?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I am biting at the bit as this seems to be a really great bit of kit and seems to be very well thought out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJJqNRuGcfc

I wouldn't worry too much about the MT4 shank, as you can cut off the tang at the small end, then drill and tap it for a draw bar. Usually shanks are only case hardened, and shouldn't give you too much trouble for drilling and tapping. On the other hand, I just looked at the ones on eBay, and making your own would be a pretty straight forward project, plus you could make it for a drawbar right off the bat.

One other possibility: Do you have any MT4 collets?? You could make a simple adapter with a straight shank that would fit into a collet. It would be very easy to make. Just a passing thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
One other possibility: Do you have any MT4 collets?? You could make a simple adapter with a straight shank that would fit into a collet. It would be very easy to make. Just a passing thought.

Of course! I didn't even think of making this straight shank. I do have MT4 collets and will be buying an MT4 ER32 collet chuck so that would be the easiest and most obvious solution.
I don't know why I didn't think of that :brightidea:

Thanks Terry. I am just waiting as this tool is being auctioned and so far no-one has realized it's value and usefulness. I just hope it stays that way and I manage to get it for a deal.

Paul.

I have a Tree that does radial facing, taper boring,, if price right you will really like it

Back