Unimat SL Question

Pfalz

Registered
Registered
I am new to machining, having recently bought a Unimat on Ebay. I have a question about the operation of the lead screw. When turning the crank to run the cross slide toward the spindle, the crank will bottom against the rear rear screw support and prevent further travel. If I reverse the crank a few turns, it operates properly when I resume until it bottoms out again. The machine appears to have been lightly used and then stored for decades. There were bits of the original protective paper still on the chuck. The cross slide was stuck on the support rod, requiring me to disassemble the machine. Once cleaned up, it looks brand new. This is a great forum by the way and seems loaded with great info.

Two things, one it is a bent lead screw and two the lead screw nut has bad threads. That should get you started on finding the problem. I have some parts for the SL, let me know what you find.

"Billy G"

Two things, one it is a bent lead screw and two the lead screw nut has bad threads. That should get you started on finding the problem. I have some parts for the SL, let me know what you find.

"Billy G"
Problem solved. The lead screw nut was not tightened against the crank.

That will do it every time. Glad it was an easy fix.

"Billy G"

I think you are going to enjoy the unimat, I have one and it can manage some surprisingly accurate work. I have plans to find a new bed for mine and do a cnc conversion, its way down on the list of plans though :whistle:

Shawn

Back