Unimat rebuild

iron man

Active User
Registered
100_0474.JPG

This is the unimat a friend of mine picked up at an auction for peanuts. He gave it to me so I started to rebuild it. The rails where all rusty from setting so I replaced them with hard chrome shaft. The chuck for the tail stock is a chuck I had so I made a tap and rethreaded the chuck to fit the tail stock thread the tap is in the lower right hand corner. I made the tool holder from a picture of one I saw and the lathe chuck is a harbor frieght chuck. I plan on making a live center and some other parts for the mill attachment.

- - - Updated - - -

100_0473.JPG

The little lathe is all cast iron I repainted and mounted it. The belt drive has an extra pulley to get the speed down lower I dont know what I am going to do with this little guy but it is fun to play with.. Ray

100_0474.JPG 100_0473.JPG

Very nice job. Those are really nice machines for their size. I still use mine every now and then for small stuff. They can do just about anything my bigger lathe/mill can do, it just takes a little longer. Some of the guys on the Yahoo group do some amazing things with them.

Thanks for sharing.

Steve

How do you acheive that paint finish? I am referring to the mottled effect. I have a few things that need painting & I'd like to duplicate the effect.

How do you acheive that paint finish? I am referring to the mottled effect. I have a few things that need painting & I'd like to duplicate the effect.

This is the finish achieved from using Hammerite paint. Unfortunately, the light blue colour uses Xylene and is considered an environmental catastrophe in some countries so it is getting harder to find.

Paul.

This paint is sold by Krylon it is a hammertone finish sold in most hardware stores. It is easy to apply and if you let it dry a few days you get a real tough finish. It comes in spray cans and in quart cans they have quit a few colors available. Ray

It just come out about a year or so ago from krylon I doubt it will be banned here.. Ray

Back