Underwhelmed By Noga Base?

Just received my new Noga FAT/FAB mag base and the magnet is very strong., even on painted metal.
Well made, and it's not even the strongest mag nm rating that they have. Stays in place, solid. No problems.
For the Chinese to counterfeit a base of this quality, why not just produce their own brand? I haven't seen any fakes
but who knows. I only purchase from reputable dealers anyway. Ebay can be a gamble.This is my 3rd Noga and no issues with holding power. Noga6160_7670.jpg

Last edited:
If I were to splurge on a new mag base, I'd go with the Swiss Interapid large mag base. Very $$$$$$$.thumbnail.jpg

I have the same issue. I am very unimpressed with it. Its funny but I was playing with it the other day. I put some angle iron used in electrical work on a shelf, and tried attaching it. The Noga fell off, the others held. The noga holds well on hot rolled angle, but for 174 lbs, of hold, it should hold better than my lightweight units, and it doesn't.

My arm is just so, so. it is very stiff and doesn't release well.
Unimpressed.
The mechanism seems great the holding power is not quite as much as I would have expected from 175 lb. holding power, it has done well for me, my other cheaper hydraulic one works as a 6 out of 9 for the Noga BUT when it sits for a week I find it limp on the shelf and had to add hydraulic fluid to the unit to recharge it. the Noga sits proud all the time

Here's mine... it is big, heavy, bulky, but it does have a very strong magnetic.
I'm jealous!!!:p

20161215_192922.jpg

I resently brought two Nogas - an NF61003 (small) and a DG61003 (large).
The small one I can just pull off bare metal, takes a fair bit of effort, so more than strong enough for normal use. It is however nowhere near as strong when connected to the mill column - don't know if is the paint or the metal used.
The large one show the same effect - might as well be welded to bare metal, no way I can pull it off, but could pull it off the mill column with a fair bit of effort.

Both are much stronger than the similar sized Chinese ones I have.

IMG_3089.JPG

Thanks Bob... I never thought about the cast iron. In both cases where I noted weak magnets it happened to be cast iron.

I think it is even down to the type of cast iron. My mill table is cast and it hold very well, but the cast column not so well. Unless my table is actually cast steel, but I don't think so.

A lot of mill columns have a thick coat of body filler to smooth out the rough casting underneath. I wonder if that could contribute to the reports of weak magnetic attraction?

Perhaps I should not admit this but both my standard and mini knock offs hold like gangbusters. I seldom use the standard size since selling my full size machinery. I have a 7" MaxiMat lathe, mini-mill and a Sherline lathe and mill. The mini holder is my work horse. I shall get another from Shars.

Back