Underground Dungeon

outboardguy44

Registered
Registered
Haven't contributed much to this site, but here's a look at what I've been doing lately in my basement workshop. It's a multi-functional area of the house; it houses my play area, tools, and various artifacts related to my hobby, as well as a rack for my grand-daughters toys and play things. In addition to having the TV/lounge area, there is also a spare bedroom, an exercise room, and a full-bathroom, all fully finished and decorated. I have upgraded in the machinery department; out with the Delta drill press, and in with a Clausing 8530 mill. Still have the trusty South Bend 9A and the Atlas 7B shaper. I keep the in-process project rack close to the machinery section, both for convenience as well as a constant reminder of the next batch of motors that need parts made for them. Also have added several outboards to the collection, so the "real" furniture (I don't count the TV area couches as furniture) has gotten a major rearrangement too. The television screen is large enough that during the fall I can work in the machine area and watch football at the same time. I have a lot of fun with these old motors, they can keep me entertained for hours at a time.

workshop 2015 009.jpg workshop 2015 010.jpg workshop 2015 011.jpg workshop 2015 013.jpgworkshop 2015 049.jpg workshop 2015 041.jpg Bsmnt 2015 002.jpg Bsmnt 2015 003.jpg Bsmnt 2015 004.jpg workshop 2015 017.jpg

Last edited:
Nice layout! Love the old outboards.

What did you use on the Floor?

I'm taking possession of a new construction house in late Feb and need to decide what to use on the poured concert floor?

what to use on the poured concert floor?

That's what I have, I use my feet.

I've wondered about rubber pads, etc, you just can't sweep these well. I spent most of my working life on concrete, don't notice it in my legs and feet.

My definition of "Dungeon" is different than yours.

If you have to be incarcerated, that' a fine place to serve your time. Very nice place, and quite the fleet of outboards you have there. Mike

What did you use on the Floor?

I'm taking possession of a new construction house in late Feb and need to decide what to use on the poured concert floor?

Didn't do anything real special, just used a concrete sealer recommended by the hardware store where I bought the floor enamel. The sealer needed to cure for 24 hours, then I put two coats of paint over it. Hope this helps.

Best,
Chris S

I'm considering an Epoxy & Flake/Chip floor.

It's a 3 Part System.
They shot peen the floor to rough up the fresh concrete and create a bonding surface.
1st a layer of epoxy based paint fairly thick stuff
2nd layer is Flake/Chips thrown spread out onto the Wet Epoxy paint and allowed to cure overnight
3rd scrape to remove any vertical standing chips and smooth out the surface and a layer of clear polyurethane.

I'll have both wood working tools and machine tools.

Anyone done this on their floor and if so how do you like it?

Fantastic layout. What's the temp like in the winter?
Wanna come over and organize my shop??? GADS - when I grow up I want that talent...

Back