Ultimate Machinists Tool Chest

Let's kick it up a notch with Heirloom Quality. By this I mean --once passed on will it last and be seen for what it is, the extension of the machinists craftsmanship. I want something that will not only house my precious tools but also be seen as a part of me.

"Billy G"

Well now that you put it that way... This one immediately came to mind:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/2006/09/01/the-h-o-studley-tool-chest

This was made by a piano maker, but you'll notice he used many 'machinist' type tools. While something like this has some serious practicality issues with actually using it, you cant deny that the guy was a 'studley' craftsman.:cool 3:

Now we have arrived at "Ultimate" I have a poster somewhere of that chest. Lots of TLC there. Thank you.

"Billy G"

A bottom draw strong enough to hold my heaviest tools & still be strong enough to sit on to do a small job at the box. The bottom of the box would be larger so I could have a small table surface just a little higher then my belt line & a fence around that surface to keep small parts from rolling off. If also like to make that surface removable to be replaced if it was damaged. Maybe out a small hidden compartment there for a few small things you want out of site. Ball bearing slides for some large drawers & shells that would hold heavy items in the bottom but nice wood slides in the top small drawers. I'd want my drawers retained but with something simple to release them if I decide to remove them. I like felt lining in the drawers. Some drawers would be custom for collets, drills, taps, squares, & a few particular dials. The lid should retain a few things to display that are sentimental.

To my simple mind, a tool chest is a very personal thing. It should fit the way you work. My top drawer contains my measurement tools because they are the most used tools. I have separate tool chests for the lathe and the mill and each has stuff located by frequency of use, honed by years of reaching for them almost without looking.

If you are looking for pretty then the Studley tool chest is a work of art. It is a showcase for storing tools but it isn't a working tool chest. I can see the attraction of building something that will say "Bill" to the generations to come, though.

Let me add to my list ether brass or stainless pulls. My hands usually aren't clean reaching for my tools so I'd want something easy to clean. I used to wax my mechanic's box to help keep it clean.

But Mike, the Studley Chest was a working tool chest. It was used for years. Back in the day, any skilled laborer was judged by his tool chest. This was especially true of "Ship Wrights". Every tool they owned was in a chest of their building they were all different. My "Grandfather made his machinists chest. It would put a Gerstner box to shame.

Bill, I have the original Fine Woodworking magazine with that tool chest in it. It is a real work of art, no doubt about it. I suspect it was used to store tools rather than being worked out of on a daily basis, though I am just guessing there.

The point, however, is that you want to make the Ultimate Machinist's Tool Chest and I'm sure you'll find a way to make it. If it's anything like the Studley it, too, will be a work of art. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

There is a great piece of history there. In days gone by and long forgotten many of these pieces of art existed. I will call my daughter tomorrow and get pics of my Grandfathers box. She is a machinist and uses that box every day. She is the first female in a long line of male machinists and it was only right that the box was passed to her.

"Billy G"

Bill, I think many of us wonder what will become of our tools when we die. I have a son who will inherit all my tools and things, and I have many interests beyond machining. I'm pretty sure he will value them as much as I do, if not more, because of their connection to me. I am one of the lucky ones to have such a son.

It sounds like you, too, are very lucky to have a daughter that will carry on your legacy. Whatever you end up building, I'm sure she will treasure it as a way to stay connected to you. It's hard to put a price on something like that. You're embarking on something that carries your tools, your soul and your heart - not going to find something like that in a store, that's for sure.

My very best to you, Bill. I hope you end up with what you're wishing for.

Back