Ultimate Machinists Tool Chest

OK, 52 views and nothing. maybe I put it wrong. Let's try again.

Production boxes and chests are not made for individuals. If they were they would all be different as non of us work the same. With that said please tell us what your dream tool chest or box would look like. All tool chests are not created equal. A custom unit is you, not someone else. Now let us see what ideas arise from you.

"Billy G"

I agree with both of you. Vidmars are the Cadillac of boxes. Rich you took production and fit it to your needs.

What I am looking for is that heirloom that will be passed down for generations. That is what I intend to create from this thread.

"Billy G"

IMO , and please this just MO . The Kennedy Signature Series boxes are the best in a serious chip making , coolant sloping , machine shop .http://buykennedy.com/product-category/signature-series/machinists-chest/
A friend of mine worked in a ultra high tech EDM shop and they all had Gerstner combo sets top , mid , roller .http://gerstnerusa.com/made-in-usa-products/combination-chest-and-base-sets
But we are hobby machinists so really I think sky is the limit , what ever you want . Although I would say that whenever you look at it it should give you a warm fuzzy feeling .
For me It's also about what I can afford , I've got a little over one more year in till I get SS , and I'm not really sure what I'm going to buy what ever it is it will be made in America .
My 2 cents , thanks .

For me, I like a larger number of shorter, shallower drawers than what is typical of the chests from big box stores (Craftsman, Husky, Kobalt, Harbor Freight)

This is a wall mounted hand tool woodworking chest, so not exactly what you're describing, but I think you'll find that it has plenty of elements in common, especially the heirloom grade construction. And the video is worth the 4 or 5 minutes just to admire his beautiful shop.

IMO The ultimate box/rollaway combination is one that yoose' can roll to the side of whatever machine your next op is at so you don't have to leave to go to your bench or other shop cabinets to grab common, needed tooling ("stuff" etc.) unless, of course, what is needed at the machine is specialized and or size) and not at the machine cabinets (regardless of the brand of boxs)...When I borrow my wife's or kids smart phone (Dad still has the cheapest flip phone LOL), I'll post pics of my 50+ yr old Huots and their drawers from top to bottom. (The top of the top is my "display" LOL where I keep V blocks, various "blocks", angle plates, vices, sign bar, parallels, and some other "stuff" I made as an apprentice.

I've been wrestling with this very question.
My Kennedys are great. But the drawers are only large enough to accommodate inspections.
I've been using vintage 4drawer metal filing cabinets as they are cheap and durable.
I always need to unload the entire draw to find the item at the bottom.

Wood? Metal?
I want HD metal drawer slides with HD bearings.
They need to be tall enough to handle large tooling.
Perhaps with 6inch cast wheels.
Perhaps diamond plate back and sides with integrated push/pull bars which double as a shop rag/towel roller.
Wo0d dovetailed fronts. Likely maple as it's cheap, easy to work with and dense.

I'll be watching this thread!

Daryl
MN

Back