TWO SPEED BACK GEAR?

epanzella

Active User
Registered
We recently brought home a Philip Smith for my son. (a freebee) It was a gift from a friend whose dad passed and he knew nothing at all about the machine. I've been oiling it and turning it over by hand just to make sure there's oil every place it needs to be. I've been trying to figure out the controls and I think I've got them all but one. I released the bull gear lock pin and rotated the back gear handle about 180 degrees counterclockwise. It's in the usual place on the left side behind the spindle. I turned the cone pulley and the the back gears seem to be providing a 3 to 1 reduction. There is another handle at the top of the back gear chamber that moves right and left. It's hard to move but by wiggling the spindle I can get it to move with a substantial clunk of heavy metal. Once moved the ratio between the cone pulley and spindle seems to be 7 to 1. Is a 2 speed back gear possible? This machine has not been powered up yet and although I seem to have 2 speeds by hand I'm concerned about expensive noises under power. I don't want to break any irreplaceable parts. That extra handle is right in the center of the close up picture under the axle that holds the flat belt and v belt pulleys.

handle HEADSTOCK CLOSE.JPG HEADSTOCK VERY CLOSE.JPG LATHE WIDE VIEW.JPG

Can you take a picture of the "badge" that reads Phillip Smith?

Thanks, Ken

Can you take a picture of the "badge" that reads Phillip Smith?

Thanks, Ken
The plate is pretty worn. I could only read the name by shining a flashlight at an angle. I'll try to take a pic but it's unlikely it'll be readable.

Also, take a picture of the badge on the quick change gear box, too. I haven't been able to find anything on "Phillip Smith".
Not too many people made a cone head with a two speed back gear headstock back in the days. Yours has the resemblance of a Lodge & Shipley, but just a WAG.

I missed that one on Vintage Machinery's website.

Looks like they vanished in the late 1910's. So sad!

Back