Two Phase???!?

The seller is a used equipment dealer. He only ran the machine for testing purposes. He did load it up with some deep cuts into steel, but it wasn't a continuous test.

It's going to be a while before I have time to play with this in earnest. There's still a rusty '23 firetruck sitting where this mill is going.

Check out page 23 of the Pdf or page 19 of the original scan.

Daryl
MN

Attachments

• Cincinnati Brouchure.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 16
Just thinking out lou. It seemed to run fine on the static converter. If the RPC doesn't go well, could it be converter to a static easily? Isn't a RPC just a static in front of an idler motor?

A static converter is "part" of a rotary phase converter. The static converter "kicks" the idler motor to turn which then delivers 3 phase power to run loads. I'm not sure your rotary phase converter will work unless it too is wired for two phase power. I'm not an expert on rotary phase converters by any means though.

It's quite likely that the static converter the machine was running on would only provide a little less than %50 power. since the way a static converter works is to run on two of three legs. But it would run it.

If it were me I would replace or rewind the motor.

I can make a few calls to find out if any VFDs will work in your application, I work with all sorts of VFDs every day.

YoungTurner,
You are relatively new to HM.
I sincerely appreciate your attitude! Thank you.
Great offer. I hope that we can help you out should you have a time of need/desperation!

Daryl
MN

I do sincerely appreciate the comments and offers of help. But it has not yet been determined how this machine is wired. Only that it was originally 2 phase. I just could not believe something built in 1960 would be 2 phase. But I have found enough evidence, including our estranged brother CincinnatiJA and his 2Ph 1B. I talked to the seller and he did admit that the machine came through a broker/auction (I didn't ask) in York, about 70 miles from Philly.

I just spent three fright-filled hours, just me, myself, and a H-F engine crane, moving this monster off of the trailer and into the barn. I'm whooppppped with a capital P, and ain't going to be looking at the wiring any tonight. I'll post back when I get the motor cover off and see how it's actually wired.

YoungTurner,
You are relatively new to HM.
I sincerely appreciate your attitude! Thank you.
Great offer. I hope that we can help you out should you have a time of need/desperation!

Daryl
MN
Anything I can do to help. I work in industrial automation, so motor control is a part of that. But Phase converters are a big no in most of the applications I work in so I have poor experience there.
Plus I'm just lounging around the house sick, banished to the couch as not to get our 3 month old sick. So I'm occupying my time and hopefully helping and not giving bad advice.:D

I understand that 2 phase is still in use today in some parts of Philadelphia and Hartford, Ct.
If that's the case then someone out there is probably looking for a spare 2ph motor since they're so uncommon. This rare 2ph motor may be worth money.
It may be easier AND more cost effective to sell this motor on eBay and buy a 3ph motor and VFD (or a single phase motor).

Of course I couldn't leave it alone last night. What we have is a 4 pole service box (knife switch) with only three fuses installed and three wires. This leads to the main internal cut off switch (rotary style), again with four poles but only three wired. Then it becomes bundles of wires that I wasn't going to trace last night. So I popped the cover off of the motor. It looks like the wiring connections are up inside the control switch; I don't open it last night. I did notice that the windings have wiring bundles coming out at 36 points around the circle. I am by no means an electric motor expert, but it strikes me that this may be enough that the windings could be bundled in either 90 or 120 degree groups. Add to this the plate doesn't say two phase, it says "two-phase connected". I am wondering if this motor is switchable between 2 and 3 phase by regrouping the windings. Any motor gurus have an idea if this is possible?

I am strongly suspecting this machine has already been converted to 3 phase.

Back