Turning wood on SB 9"

olcarguy

Active User
Registered
Can turning wood would cause any damage to the lathe? Thought I'd ask first before doing the deed.....

A lot of the early home shop lathes used to have wood turning accessories.
Bobby

Won't hurt a thing. Might want to wipe off any excessive oil. Shop near here makes duck calls out of all sorts of exotic wood. CNC, and plenty fast.

Thanks guys just wanted to check, didn't want to do any unnecessary damage to the old girl.....

If anything, you may run into a speed issue. Metal turning machines, especially older ones, run slow for wood turning.

I'll try it and report back on the out come, might have to change the motor shiv to a larger size.

saw dust can get in to bearings and dry out the oil or grease so
keep it clean and well oiled and it will last a long time. or was a gun, or,or.
Bob

I have done quite a lot of wood turning on a metal lathe but after a while I had to remove the carriage and clean the carriage gears and the half nuts. The wood dust was attracted to the oil and the gears got gummy and the half nuts would not close properly. Possibly a shop vac positioned behind the work piece might help eliminate the problem.

Bill

Jim

I would be interested in seeing how you rigged the tailstock on your bed extension if you happen to have a photo. Years ago I saw an old Atlas 12"X 36" lathe in a very old automotive repair shop that had a 12" bed extension made using flat bar stock.

Bill

Jim

Thanks for describing your tailstock assembly. Sometimes you have to be real creative to work around the limitations of your equipment. Well done.

Nice collection of collets also.

Bill

Back