Turning Tool And Facing Tool Questions

Thanks Jim for the info on the green wheels.

Thanks Bill C, For the perspective on shoulder cutting, I do use a quick change tool post, I have seen tubalcain use the lantern tool post.
My lathe came with the Quick change tool post, and a few holders. When I just had my mini lathe I picked up a quick change for it as well.
My lathe also has a carriage lock and I have been getting into the habit of using it. The mini lathe did not have one, so I have to remember to use it.

Thanks Mark, It is interesting to hear that different people use the tool rest and some do not. I also watch Tom Lipton's OXTools videos and he uses the tool rest as well.

Thanks all

Joe

Thanks Tozguy for the info on the grinding wheels, I will look for the alox and I have been looking to purchase a green wheel as well.

Joe

If you have any questions in grinds or would like to see pictures I can snap a few of my more commonly used tools just to give you an idea. I have one tool bit in my holder that I use for turning and facing. One end is for left hand turning the other is for right hand Turning and facing. While they may not be perfect grinds they get the job done for me and give
Me good finishes and fairly decent roughing cuts. Something like .060-.080 depending on material is the most I've tried using the tools I've ground so far.

Regards-Carlo

Carlo, I would love to see some pics of proper tool grinds for a tool that does both turning and facing, and any other that you care to share.

Thanks

Joe

Not meaning to pre-empt Carlos as I would like to see his answer but his is kinda neat.
Turning tool shapes.gif
Many have gone before us for a long time now so knowledge on tool geometry is readily available. If you have ground a tool according to the 'book' and it doesn't work well there can be many other causes than the tool. A newcomer to grinding would be better off learning to set up and use a bench grinder properly than experimenting with unorthodox angles, radius' and relief on the tools from the get-go. Devote sufficient time to learning about grind wheel materials, how to install them, maintain them, and use them. It will be a revelation I garantee it.
http://www.conradhoffman.com/advancedsharp.htm

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip Tozguy, Didn't I hear someone say you had to be a millionaire to be a home machinist. There are way too many tools to purchase at the end of the money Flustered I guess as I will have to start making tools in order to gain some experience.

Thanks

Joe

Thanks for the tip Tozguy, Didn't I hear someone say you had to be a millionaire to be a home machinist. There are way too many tools to purchase at the end of the money Flustered I guess as I will have to start making tools in order to gain some experience.

Thanks

Joe

Nah, just look for the deals, it just takes little time and money to get set up. I've owned boats and airplanes, a machine shop is by far cheaper, and it will actually support it's self.

Jim, yes, you do this for a living, how can a home machinist recoup some of the investment? Do work on the side?
I would love to hear some ideas.

Thanks

Joe

Well here's a picture of
My most commonly used tool. As I had said before I watched some videos and measured some angles sometimes and I never got the results I desired. My tools may not be correct or at an exact angle but they work for my purposes. The first picture of bar is a piece of unknown ss I turned the next is mild steel. Hopefully this helps if not let me know and I'll try to answer to the best of my knowledge. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436394586.638523.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1436394595.242064.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1436394602.592788.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1436394610.759833.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1436394620.680731.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1436394630.740700.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1436394639.125951.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1436394646.026230.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1436394655.297485.jpg

Regards-Carlo

Joe, I actually don't do machine work for a living, in fact I've never even called myself a machinist. I'm really just an old millwright that knows how to turn a crank on a machine. That is not to say that I don't sometimes do a small job here and there. That money normally goes back into the kitty to buy more toys. The reason I have machine tools (beside the fact that I enjoy making chips) is to support my ''real job'' which is industrial software & control systems, machine design & fabrication, and contract industrial maintenance (or anything else I can make a buck at :grin:).

Much of the small work comes from Craigslist. I check the Gigs section a couple of times a day, there is always someone wanting a widget built or repaired. I would think in your area, there might be even more of that. Just Monday I picked up a gig for a 20 piece order of prototype store displays from Craigslist. That project will be aluminum, wood, and glass. It will require some CNC work, but also could be done on a manual machine.

Living in a rural farming area, I also pick up some equipment repair work. In addition to that, networking with a wide cross section of people has landed a number of jobs. I'm about half crazy, and will tackle anything. :confused: I have been known to bid jobs without a clue of how I was going to do it, and I usually come out OK on them.

So yeah, there is side money to be made.

Back