Turning thin tubing

D

Douglasr

Forum Guest
Register Today
My fathers favorite fishing reel has a problem and the parts are no longer made. It is the tube that the worm gear/drive rides in/on. What is the best method for turning very thin material? I can cut all the openings and notches while it is thick but I don't know how to thin it without destroying it. Help

My fathers favorite fishing reel has a problem and the parts are no longer made. It is the tube that the worm gear/drive rides in/on. What is the best method for turning very thin material? I can cut all the openings and notches while it is thick but I don't know how to thin it without destroying it. Help

some pictures and the model of reel would help us a lot--it may turn steadier with a snug tube or dowell on the inside while turning and cutting the notches--some pictures would sure help and maybe someone would have parts for the reel. ---Dave

I turned some sleeves in aluminium that were 0.012 thick. I had some pulleys with metric 13mm bore but the motor shaft was 0.5".

I turned down the outside and progressive drilled the bore as the last step. Worked out fine.

I would like to see pics of what you need to make.

I will get some pictures on my next visit. The reel is a Shamano bait caster called Magnalite and the part is the tube the line winder guide rides on, which houses the worm gear to make it travel from side to side . Thanks so much for the help, I am speechless at your willingness to help

Pics help, and will allow us to give better guidance. Off the top of my head though, three options I can think of are

1) Hold the item in a collet. This will let you turn it without crushing it. If you don't have collets, you could try soft jaws.
2) Turn it between centers. Very little pressure, and take light cuts with sharp tools
3) turn up/purchase a mandrel.

On occasion, I have completed the inside diameters first and then filled the cavity with low-melt alloy. This allows for machining of the exterior. When machining is done, just put it in boiling water and remove the alloy. One trade name is recall is "Cerroloy" or "Ceroloy". Hope this helps.

On occasion, I have completed the inside diameters first and then filled the cavity with low-melt alloy. This allows for machining of the exterior. When machining is done, just put it in boiling water and remove the alloy. One trade name is recall is "Cerroloy" or "Ceroloy". Hope this helps.

Hi, That is a handy item to know of, it is actually called "Cerrolow" btw, Google corrected me when I spelt it wrong :)

It is actually called "Cerro" with the "Low" for low melting point! I found this here (http://tiny.cc/nkg06w)

Cerro Alloy Name Cerro Alloy Number Melting Temperature
CERROLOW-117 4470-2 117°F
CERROBEND 5000-7 174°F
CERROLOW-174 5700-1 174°F
CERROTRU 5800-2 281°F

Last edited:

Say the finished tube is .250 ID and .255 OD, and not too long. Try this.

From ½" stock, bore the hole, then cut the OD with ONE PASS. Correct cutting angles, speed, coolant etc are mandatory. I'd hope to be able to get a tube at least ½" long like that
cheers
The Feral Machinist

Back