Turning tapers on lathe using tail stock offset method

Thanks for the lesson.

My ancient lathe does not have a taper attachment and this will help a lot.

Thanks for posting that. You took the fear and intimidation out of turning a taper.

I actually hope you find the time and reason to do more of these.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guilty as charged, I dont usually read threads I am not currently studying since I have a long long way to go to get that level of proficiency. But I will try to read as many as I can in the future, even if it is beyond my current skills. I can always refer back when I get there.
Bob

Jeff,

Awesome video! You're up there with Tubalcain, Rudy Kouhoupt, Darrell Holland and the like! Very well spoken!

John

I CHECK FOR NEW POSTS DAILY and never saw thi until today. A very nice video informative and wekk done. THANKS I| did not recognize your lathe what mak is it? tom

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. I will definitively try to do some more. The lathes are Jet gap bed, 13" I think. These are in a school shop. Mine at home is a Wholesale tools 13" gap bed but it works exactly the same.

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff..... WOW!!!

I have to credit DaveH for bringing this thread to my attention. For a beginner like me, these are the greatest tutorials possible. Very thorough and very well explained!! I know that I am very grateful for your efforts.

Thank you and please, keep them coming!!

Excellent video and made making tapers simple. I do have one question about the process.
In making your offset on the tailstock you mention that where you make the measurement is a reference point. Would taking that measurement from the live center not actually increase your L in your equation? In effect making your measurement length of part plus live center nose length? This causing your offset to actually be less than needed? I know the difference would be minimal but if someone is using a long live center it could easily add more than an inch to the equation.

Please don't take this as splitting hairs as I know I certainly have picked up a TON of knowledge from this forum and many others. I am just trying to get the whole process in my head. I think it will be cool to make my own center drill that fits in my tailstock and to be able to understand how to make other parts as needed.

Thanks, Chris.

Jeff..... WOW!!!

I have to credit DaveH for bringing this thread to my attention. For a beginner like me, these are the greatest tutorials possible. Very thorough and very well explained!! I know that I am very grateful for your efforts.

Thank you and please, keep them coming!!

Indeed! Holy cow, I can't believe I missed this thread! "jawdrop:

It just doesn't get any better than this. Jeff, you have to be a shop teacher - am I right? Those are some outstanding videos!
I fear you are going to have quite a few stalkers following your every move here from now on. I'll be one of them.... :biggrin:

Thank you SO much for putting the effort into making those and sharing your knowledge with us.

Back