Turning down small diameters

EmilioG

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've always wondered how small diameters of round stock rods were turned down without a taper or flex.
I found this great example of technique.

http://modelenginenews.org/techniques/stepturn.html

Having a good lathe with good gibs and ways, etc,.. is very important. When I finally find a good lathe, I will be sure to check it for any severe wear and tear. Enjoy.

You might think this is unrelated, but I think it's totally along the same lines. Before I started getting into machining, I did a fair amount of wood turning. I prefer very thin sided bowls- I think they highlight the craft better than thick sides. But chatter is a real issue! Frank shows a method in this video that I wish I would have known back when I cared about wood turning. Certainly step turning in machining is pretty much the same idea. The video demonstrates nicely.

Step turning is my method of choice. Mainly because it does not require any other tooling, just a technique...Dave

Same for me, I work with easy bending thin materials make axles for bycycles bolts and other Very small parts from 6 and 7000 series aluminium stainless steel and titanium. Small steps like 2/100 mm are needed even with à guiderhelp.
I also make small parts for any machine myself. Or for astronomical telescopes for à example. So small steps is very important with those materials.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro

Back