Turned my first threads today!

IMG_4149.JPG IMG_4150.JPG While doing this work, I had to switch from safety glasses to magnifying glasses. Because I cannot see up close anymore.

These came in today!! Bifocal safety glasses!!

Now I can see and be safe!

toolman_ar

+2.00 near vision correction? Hell, man, you are just getting started... :cool 3:

OK I couldn't resist : the first good screw is always the best
Mark:p

Threading is fun, nice job. My first thread I was lucky enough to have someone who knew what they were doing look over my shoulder. By myself, I've made those mistakes plus a few you haven't made, yet.

In small threads like this, I like to let the lathe off and use a spindle hand crank. The lowest speed in my lathe is 140rpm and it is scary sometimes.

Cascado,
Great video! And good idea. I could have put into backgear and slowed way down. Live and learn!

EE and Mark, thank you for the comments!

I am just glad I was able to make it work and happy I learned a new process. This got me thinking, and that can be scary, when making multiples of the same part. I found my cross slide coming back to zero (not exactly but close) once I turned to size. If my turning tool and treading tool both had the same stick out, I could turn to the zero mark to reach my final diameter, prior to threading.

Now, I am new and my machine is not in that good of shape. But I started to see the potential.

toolman_ar

Time to a captive nut or a machinist jack project!

Back