Tuning the Isacon HY series VFD

RandyWilson

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Since I have decided to banish all bad-magic phase twisting devices and only use good-magic, I figure it's time to really learn to tune these Huanyang VFD's. I have two identical ones, HY02D223B, purchased nearly a year apart. I have Googled extensively, but found no helpful information on these units. I have found extensive help on what is apparently an older parameter set. And I've found a few threads with people having massive problems with these newer units, likely because they are trying to set them up via utube and forum experts using the old parameter set rather than reading the manual.

Many of the basic parameters are pretty self-explanatory. The manual, at least this model/version, isn't as bad as some make it to be. I'm going to start with two questions.

What would be a likely wording for the carrier signal that is so often mentioned? I don't see anything that I can relate to a carrier.

PN12 Motor rating frequency. Would this be 60hz for old mill and lathe motors?

PN19-26 Multi-segment frequency. What is this?

Okay, okay, that was three questions.

Hi Randy,
Q1- i believe the phrase you are looking for is carrier frequency
Q2- most likely you will set that to 60Hz.
unless you have European motors , they are 50Hz
Q3- i believe that is in reference to ramping of the motor frequencies for starting and stopping.
you can have the motor start and stop quickly or slowly dependent on the ramp

Thanks. Start and stop ramps, with optional second stage, are a different set of parameters.

I'll see if I can get some clean scans of the parameter tables tomorrow.

PN12 Motor rating frequency. Would this be 60hz for old mill and lathe motors?

PN19-26 Multi-segment frequency. What is this?
The manuals I have seen for this model have a different set of parameter definitions. So I have attached the manual I have for this model and a possible programming parameter file.

There is what is called the base frequency which is the motor nameplate base frequency, 60Hz in the US

The carrier frequency is what the base PWM signal runs at (or frequency of the on/off pulses to simulate the AC wave). Typically the higher the carrier frequency, the quieter the motor will run, but at the possible expense of damaging the wingdings or bearings especially in older motors. If you have an old motor, choose a lower carrier frequency drive. An older motor you would probably stick with 5-8Khz, newer motor 8-12Khz. The lower the frequency the more the motor will whine like a cat in heat, higher frequency is quieter but the motor will run hotter and may be a bit more insulation breakdown. Wire between the VFD and the motor should be rated for a minimum of 600V.

There are blocks of parameters for different functions;
One sets acceleration and deceleration (PD014-PD021), another sets multi-speed or fixed speed increments (PD086-PD100), and one sets skip frequencies (start/stop, PD056-PD061) to avoid resonant peaks to name a few.

Attachments

• Huanyang VFD Manual.pdf
    10.4 MB · Views: 58
  • Huanyang Programming VFD Parameter file.pdf
    798.4 KB · Views: 55
That appears toi be the info that is all over the net. Unfortunately it does not match this VFD at all. For good or bad, this one has a much simpler parameter set. I got called in to work this morning, I'll try to scan the manual tonight.

The printer with the scanner isn't set up from the move yet. It isn't even in the house. So it's not happening tonight. I tain't up to humping that thing in; it's an old office "document center, weighs a ton.

In reading the the manuals, I have found that there are differences between the two units. It boils down to software revision 32026 (manual says 32024) and the new one at 32029. So far I have identified the newer one having two sets of default parameters, one for a 4000hz base and the other for a 50hz base. The older version was 400hz only, requiring a lot of leaning on the button to change most parameters.

in lieu of a scan, here's what I have the first one running the lathe set to

PH01 Default display 1725
PH02 Initial startup frequency 60
PH03 Source of runtime freq 2 (panel)
PH04 Source of runtime command 1 (panel)
PH05 Rotation Direction 3 both
PH06 Stop method 2 braking
PH07 Start by external signal 1 disable
PH08 Accel time 5 seconds
PH09 Decel time 6 seconds
PH10 Max runtime freq 90hz
PH11 Min runtime freq 20hz
PH12 Motor rating freq 60hz

-- everything below here is left at default --

PH13 Torque compensation 0.0
PH14 Torque compensation freq 400hz
PH15 Startup DC braking V 30V
PH16 Startup DC braking time 0 seconds
PH17 Stop DC braking V 30V
PH18 Stop DC braking time 0 seconds
PH19 Source of multi-segment speed 1
PH20 Multi-segment speed 1 freq 10
PH21 Multi-segment speed 2 freq 20
PH22 Multi-segment speed 3 freq 30
PH23 Multi-segment speed 4 freq 40
PH24 Multi-segment speed 5 freq 50
PH25 Multi-segment speed 6 freq 60
PH26 Multi-segment speed 7 freq 70
PH27 Point move frequency 10
PH28 Choice of relay input 3
PH29 Second accel time 2 sec
PH30 Second decel time 2 sec
PH31 Second decel stop freq 1hz
PH32 Parameter management 1 unlocked (3 reset to 400, 6 reset to 50)
PH33 Software version
PH34 Auto recover on power loss 0 disable
PH35 Production date

I had trouble with the first VFD installation, until I realized that the defaults were for some high speed application, and they all needed changing. I moved all of the frequencies to 60. Lo, the lathe ran fine at that. I then proceeded to move the freq limits outward, and applied a bit of braking. For the mill, I am going to first set PH32 to 6, choosing the 50hz runtime defaults, and see if it will run with only that one change. Then I will tweak towards a 60hz base.

I spent some time today (call ME in to work on a Saturday, will you?) trying to find a manual close to these somewhere on the web. I even looked in other languages. I found nothing. Yet this VFD's is selling well on eBay. Thus I figured we needed a thread introducing them, and providing a warning that not all HY's are the same as the information gleaned a decade ago. This seemed to be as good a thread as any.

Well, that was anticlimatic. I temporarily mounted the VFD on the wall, wired it up, and set PH32 to 6. It came up with a starting frequency of 12.98hz. I figured that would never work, but punched the start button anyway. The mill just started turning, very quietly. No fuss, no strain, no noise. I was amazed. Even better, it was turning backwards. I have found over the years that if I wire three phase and it turns the correct direction first time, there is _something wrong_. One change of wires and we're up and running.

And it's so quiet. That RPC, between the motor whine and contactor buzz, could be heard in the next block. Loud enough the wife enforced a tnight curfew so I wouldn't keep the neighbors school kids up. Now I can hear the timing belt whir (need to adjust that), but little else. And the mill will actually stop when shut off rather than coasting for a minute.

MY current settings are:

PH01 Default display 60 (so it displays hz rather than rpm)
PH02 Initial startup frequency 60
PH03 Source of runtime freq 2 (panel)
PH04 Source of runtime command 1 (panel)
PH05 Rotation Direction 3 both
PH06 Stop method 2 braking
PH07 Start by external signal 1 disable
PH08 Accel time 8 seconds
PH09 Decel time 6 seconds
PH10 Max runtime freq 90hz
PH11 Min runtime freq 10hz
PH12 Motor rating freq 60hz

And the rest at default until I learn more about them.

For all the bad press these things get, from noisy motors to impossible manuals and cryptic settings, I as an absolute noob have had no such problems. Indeed, most of the initial confusion was caused by getting the wrong information off of the web. This manual says it's only for the 0.75, 1.5, and 2.2kW units. These are definitely a new version of the units, not matching the web info at all. I can only speak directly for the 2.2kW units. I like. And I will like even better when I get the remote panel installed.

And it just dawned on me why it started at 13hz initially. The default setting is for speed control via an external pot. No pot, so random garbage from the open terminals.

Very Nicely Done Randy!!!
Congratulations!!! :grin:
Have lotsa fun now that you got er' runnin!

The control keypads on those VFDs are not known to be robust. It is a good idea to add external controls to every function you will be using regularly. Then program it how you like and never use the keypad again except to change parameters or for troubleshooting.

Hi Randy,
when you get a chance to copy the manual, please post it here. There are others who will need help down the track.

Back