Tufnol change gears

Pmma-Granville

Registered
Registered
so I started a thread about what change gears I needed to get hold of, I mentioned making them out of tufnol as I have plenty of it and iv heard it's good for low load gears. So I made some! The surface finish isn't great, I machined them on a cnc router! I used a 1mm diameter end mill to do the finishing cut. I had to grind clearance onto it, this made it rather spindly and it vibrated quite a bit. But, they're dimensionally good, they mesh well and I can always make more if they break!
Here's a (bad) picture. My phones camera is knackered so I'm left with the "selfie" camera! Great!
IMG_0708.JPG

Hello again,
Didn't know whether or not to start a new thread, will just do this as iv started quite a few!
So iv made these gears, putting them on the machine, trying to set up what my thread chart calls fine feed. I am having some trouble with this! I think I'm arranging the gears correctly as the chart says, assuming the first stud is the one furthest from the lead screw. They mesh fine on the banjo, then when I move the banjo up to try and engage the driven gear on stud 1 to the 20t gear on the "mandrel" the large gear on stud 2 makes contact with a locking collar on the "mandrel" preventing the 20t gear meshing with the driven gear on stud one. Can anyone point out what I'm doing wrong? Here's a picture, above the 60t gear you can see the 20t and the locking collar which is making contact with the 60t. The 20t is supposed to drive the 2nd largest gear behind the tufnol one, which I am presuming is the 1st stud.
IMG_0714.JPG

IMG_0713.JPG

First, congratulations on making your own gears. Once you get the hang of it, it is not that difficult.

As for the second post, proper forum etiquette dictates that you start a new thread for a new problem or largely unrelated question. The only common element for these two posts is 'gears'. I recommend that you re-post your second post as a new thread. The problem you are experiencing may be machine specific, so it would be best to post it in the forum for your brand of lathe. I would use a thread title of 'Change Gear Setup Problem' or something similar. You will most likely find an answer to your problem much quicker that way. Even as a moderator, I am unable to move your post into a new thread. You will have to do that yourself by starting a new thread.

To get you moving in the right direction, I would try switching places for the two largest gears. The overall ratio should still be the same. Beyond that, try starting a new thread as I suggested above. I am not familiar enough with your machine to be of much more help.

Back