Trying to figure out what this tool is used for?

JoshS

Registered
Registered
I am new to this forum so I may have several questions as I am also new to the trade. I am proficient in mechanic work including auto, outboards, and small engines and some gunsmithing and woodworking. I inherited quite a few machinist tools from my Grandfather and I would like to familiarize myself with the tools and the trade. There are often times I need parts and pieces tailored and they are no longer available. Anyways, I am hoping if I post some photos a kind soul will be able to tell me what some of the tools are used for. Thank you in advance.
Josh

Firstly, I came across something that looks like a standard gage but I have never seen anything like it and was hoping to get some info. He had it in a drawer with the standards shown in the photos and also there were 4 stainless steel balls in there with it. I am at a loss to it's purpose. He didn't have junk and used mostly Starrett but this one is unmarked.

DSCF9943.JPG

DSCF9944.JPG

DSCF9947.JPG

What you have there is actually a group of unrelated items. The main object is known as a bench block by most people. It is used to support various parts that have pins that are driven in and out by means of pin punches. That's the primary use of it. The others are simply factory dowel pins, by the looks of them. The bench blocks are made to facilitate driving pins of different sizes, hence the different size holes.

And welcome to the Forum. Ask all the questions you like. That's why we are here.

I dunno guys. I have a bench block that I made. It is solid with holes around the periphery.

Something looks special about this one. The nice "V" slot with holes in the centre. The circumference has nice knurls.

With those dowels could it be for some sort of wire bender?

David

I am with Tony and Bill. I have the same block which the supplier called a bench block on the site.

Awesome. Thanks for the quick responses. Since he had them in the same drawer I thought maybe they were related. Great forum here.

I know he did alot of gunsmithing so I bet that's what he used it for.

Back