Trying To Decide On A Mill

Navy Chief

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I am in the planning stages of re-arranging my shop to make space for a mill and I need some help. I am trying to decide between the PM-25MV and the PM-932M-PDF. I am really leaning towards the larger machine so that in theory I will not outgrow it as soon, but I need to know how much floor space to plan for each of these machines so I can figure out what I can fit into the shop space I have. My planned usage right now is making telescope parts, motorcycle parts, model engines, and of course making tools, etc. Right now all I am working with is a 7x14 Grizzly lathe, and adding a mill to the shop would really open up the possibilities for projects.

I am also wondering if there is any advantage to having the 3 axis DRO on these types of machines, is the down feed on the column accurate enough and smooth enough to use it as a feed for working, or is it just rough setup with the quill being used for fine feeds?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Hi Chief,

I have a PM-25MV and love it. If my budget would have allowed I would have gone with the 932, but I was already stretching my original budget (started off wanting a HF X2). The foot print of the PM-25 is 13-1/2" x 16-1/2" at the base. Of course the real food print of the mill is the table which is approximately 39" x 37". I purchased a DRO Pros model 3M DRO with my mill and am really happy I did. I am new to milling and the DRO makes everything easier as I don't have to keep track of the number of turns of the wheel. I have worked in steel, aluminum, and brass so far, and the machine performs flawlessly. Based on the description of the work you plan to do, the 25 would be a good fit. I also have a HF 7x12 lathe that makes a good buddy for my mill.

I am in the planning stages of re-arranging my shop to make space for a mill and I need some help. I am trying to decide between the PM-25MV and the PM-932M-PDF. I am really leaning towards the larger machine so that in theory I will not outgrow it as soon, but I need to know how much floor space to plan for each of these machines so I can figure out what I can fit into the shop space I have. My planned usage right now is making telescope parts, motorcycle parts, model engines, and of course making tools, etc. Right now all I am working with is a 7x14 Grizzly lathe, and adding a mill to the shop would really open up the possibilities for projects.

I am also wondering if there is any advantage to having the 3 axis DRO on these types of machines, is the down feed on the column accurate enough and smooth enough to use it as a feed for working, or is it just rough setup with the quill being used for fine feeds?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

I have a PM25 (older model) and a Charter Oak which is basically a 10x40 table with 20" of Z (big fella). I use both with a 3 axis DRO, Z-axis on the head, not the quill. Basically, I do the exact opposite procedure (travel-wise) of that I do on a knee mill which is: I lower the cutter to using the head crank to about 1/8-1/4" away from the material to be milled. Then using the quill, I basically come down to just touching the material, lock the quill, then zero my Z-axis readout. I then 'bump' the cutter off the workpiece and move the cutter away from the material. I then move the head down past my Z-axis target DOC and then bring the head back up to the number I want. Lock the head and go. I do this so the Z-axis screw and head is always loaded in a consistent manner. 99% of my milling is done this way, and for the occasional plunge cut I lock the head and use the digital readout on the quill. Works for me. :)

I love my PM25 but I had to get something a bit larger as my projects grew in scope. My big mill (I call him El Hefe) basically takes up the same footprint as a 3/4 Bridgeport but doesn't have the weight of that huge base and knee ( the mill and stand weigh a bit over 1000lbs would be my guess). Long story, but I will have to move again and I didn't want to hire a rigging company to move my machines 1000 miles. Ouch...

If you're planning on making parts for motorcycles or decking heads or cylinders for same, the PM25 might not be big enough. Just my opinion though. :D

DRO is best addition you can make to a mill (ok, maybe CNC is better...). Once you use a mill with a DRO, it will spoil you for life. Makes your 4x as productive and 6x as handsome!

Thanks for all of the replies, definitely some food for thought as I work out balancing size of machine to the size of the budget. I can fit the larger machine into the space I have, fitting it into the budget may be another story. Not only is it a larger initial investment, but I would also have to run a 220 line to the location to run the machine. Then there is also future growth to consider as I gain experience and confidence I am sure I will want to move to larger more ambitious projects... :confused:

DRO is best addition you can make to a mill (ok, maybe CNC is better...). Once you use a mill with a DRO, it will spoil you for life. Makes your 4x as productive and 6x as handsome!

I would definitely agree with this... a 3X DRO is, IMO, a must on a mill.
I have a PM935 (knee mill, 3/4 clone of a BP J head style). Definitely a LOT more mill than what you are looking at.

Might want to talk to Matt at QMT... I think the 932 is being replaced by the 940 (new model), which is a little beefier and has more Y travel (the weak point, IMO, of the 932). Otherwise, the same mill.

How big are your telescope and motorcycle parts? Will the work that needs to be done fit in the travel of the machines?

For now all of the parts I have in mind would fit into the envelope of the PM-25, I am considering the larger mill as a way of future proofing the purchase. Basically I want to prevent a situation where a year or two from now I am looking to spend money on a larger mill.

For now all of the parts I have in mind would fit into the envelope of the PM-25, I am considering the larger mill as a way of future proofing the purchase. Basically I want to prevent a situation where a year or two from now I am looking to spend money on a larger mill.

Oh, you mean you're trying to prevent duplicating what I ended up doing? :)

Back