Trying to date a Craftsman 12x36

Oldhenry1

Registered
Registered
I'm completely new to machining.
I picked up a Craftsman 12x36 Lathe Model 101 28910 Serial # 108321 awhile ago. I'm trying to find a ball park date for it.
And a supplier for a Mid/Steady Rest if possible.

Best guess from the serial number would be 1975 or 1976. Unfortunately, Atlas or Timken stopped engraving the bearing inspection dates onto the spindle bearings in 1952 or 53. That is a pretty good model to have. One thing you can try is examine the inner surfaces of the bed casting for a date cast into it. If you do, add one or two years to that date. Atlas claimed that bed castings were rough ground after casting and them allowed to season or cure for a couple of years before finish machining. The typical problem, however, is that the date is fairly often illegible.

One of the things that you should do is to check whether the compound and cross slide gibs are steel or plastic. If they are plastic, you need to replace them with steel ones. Unfortunately, although Clausing Industrial still has quite a few new parts available for the Atlas lathes, all that they have for these two gibs will be plastic. I don't know for certain why Clausing changed but assume that it was the bean counter's faul Joel does a good job on them so try MyMachineShop.net for steel ones. I used to carry them but don't any more.

Last edited:
Evening OldHenry1. I ain’t every heard of someone trying to “date” a lathe before, but I’d be careful. Those Atlases make many lust after them…you’re likely to love it and it’s bound to break your wallet and your heart bad jokes aside, happy to hear you’ve got a commercial grade unit. Maybe one day I’ll find one in my price range? About a steady rest, I thought I saw one on eBay recently but don’t see it now? I’ll keep an eye out for one.

Thank you for the replies. I have sooo much to learn.
I like to know when things were built.
I did some horse trading to get it. Traded a Craftsman 6x18 plus $100 for this 12x36.
The Cross Slide Gib looks to be brass. I can't tell on the Compound Slide without dis-assembling it.
They both have some play in them so I guess that's the first order of business. I guess now I'm looking for Steel replacements.
Here is a blurry picture

Attachments

• Lathe 12x36.JPG
    Lathe 12x36.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 28
Access to Downloads for actually downloading anything requires Donor status (any level) but anyone can look at the directories to see what is there. Anyway, the factory drawings (cleaned up) of the original steel gibs for 6". 10" and all 12" are in Downloads if you want to make your own.

As you are just getting started, you probably don't have anything to sell anyway. But I will mention that access to actually sell (as opposed to buy or trade) requires a Gold ($25) or above donation level. We did not write the donation code and it has no provision for upgrades, other than that it doesn't seem to object to to someone making two or more donations. But it won't "upgrade" from Silver to Gold for $15.00.

Atlas 12" steady rests appear on ebay regularly. They sell for $200 to $300. I had my lathe for several years before I broke down and spent the money. The steady rest is more useful and easier to set up than I imagined. Here is another option: http://mlatoolbox.com/MLA-9.html although the machining required might be above a beginner's capability.

Last edited:
While I really like the idea of the MLA-9 kit, I agree with you at this point it is probably beyond my skill level. I've watched Ebay on and off for a few years but didn't pull the trigger.

Back