Trying to buy a mill

mf294-4

Active User
Registered
Need some input on a few mills. Have found a Alliant, Comet and a couple M head Bridgeports. The Bridgeports are less than half the price of the other two. I know this is not much info but some general comments about the three will be some help. Thanks Rick

Out of the three the Bridgies are probably the more populous, followed by Atlas, then the others. I tend to look at parts availability for a machine more than anything. I would hate to spend a pile on a machine that breaks and has no replacement parts available. So I do a thourough search to see if parts are readilly available from multiple sources before I make a buying decision. Not having any real experience with anything other than a BP clone I cant even begin to speak for the quality of any of the choices. Smooth operation, no slop, no visible wear or damage and available parts is how I would decide if I had three to choose from. Hope this helps...

Bob

M heads were made with several spindle tapers, finding tooling for some of those can be hard. R8 is pretty much standard.

I agree with Bob. Make sure parts are available for whatever you get. Otherwise your machine might sit idle while you wait for parts to turn up on Craigslist or Ebay.

I just purchased a 1967 Bridgeport Series1 step head and am restoring it to working condition. New and used parts are everywhere for Bridgeports.

Not so for the Millrite or the Rockwell, which is what I was looking for when I found the Bridgeport. Glad I went with the Bridgeport.

Back