trouble with power feed on cross slide and compound slide

oldhank60

Registered
Registered
I am having trouble getting my cross slide to work correctly and can not get compound slide to work at ali. I think I must me doing something wrong.

on the cross slide power feed It works if I move the lever that determines with slide power feed in to right and up position then use the lever for split nut.

the compound slide if I movepower feed lever to left and down everything is locked up, and will n0t move

also the clutch shaft does not move, how do I check to make sure it is engaged, it does not rotate no mater what I do.

I bought lathe about 2 1/2 years ago while I was fighting cancer and it took long time for me to get it set up and running and I do not work in garage or run machines if metal temp goes below 55f, its not good for the lathe, I don't think it will harm my mill but any way I don't use in cold, ( I now have heat in shop for up coming winter)

I have only made a few simple parts with lathe and I baby it since I don't have money to replace I take care of it,
Can someone point me in right direction so I can really start making some chips, I still have work waiting in the wings to get done, Health is well enough I can run these machines

Hank Kettler

thank you ahead of replies

Many of the new lathes don't have a power feed on the cross slide for facing. ?????

Ok I found problem with feed problem, first I checked out carriage to make sure all was the inch gear box and pull front cover off well, I found nothing wrong there, then I went to thread gear box
and that where I found the problem,
look at what would be gear that drives feed shaft and lead screw I saw that shift fork was not engaging gear, it was off gear, it could shove lead screw off but not move it back to run feed shaft, of course side of sift fork showed wear from rubbing.

I set gear in center and cleaned up shift fork and reinstalled cover making sure shift fork was in correct position reinstalled making sure it was on roll pins and taped into place, then I worked control knob while without power to make sure all was well, applied power to lathe and tested again, everything is working as it should now on that part of lathe, next problem with lathe is installing 5C collet..

Hank Kettler

Back