Treatise of Modern Horology by Saunier

esands6

Registered
Registered
I have the second printing of the above mentioned book. (The first that was in English) Does anyone have any idea what it may be worth? The binding is broken, but whole. It has 22 colored plates in the back. Any information would be appreciated.

Probably not much considering its available in its entirety on Google Books.

Tom

Re: Treatise of Modern Horology

I have a 1952 printing with a decent binding I paid $80 for several years back. The professional booksellers have it listed for about $90 to $100. It's been out of print so long that the amount of people looking for it is limited.

IMHO, The Watchmaker's Handbook by Saunier is the better of the books that he wrote. It tells the methods of how watches were made before modern machine tools. The problems with Saunier's books are that you have to constantly flip to the plates to understand what he's describing. I bought the Treatise of Modern Horology only because he kept referencing it in The Watchmaker's Handbook. Although good, The Treatise of modern horology is such a thick volume that it isn't a comfortable book to leisurely read. I wish that a new edited version would be released with the plates placed with the text and split into a couple of volumes. Saunier knew his stuff and was one of the early experimenters trying to improve timekeeping.

-Bryan Smith

i have this book (amunst many watch and clock books)you can pick these up at the watch and clock shows for about 20.00 to 25.00

Back