[Drill] Transporting Drill Press..?

EmilioG

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I will be picking up two vintage drill presses that were gifted to me recently.
A Delta 17" floor model and a smaller Walker Turner bench model.

My question is, can these machines be broken down or can I lay them down in the back of a truck?

I'm concerned about laying them down for any oil spills or leaks. Do I need to worry about this or will they be OK.

I'm only moving them about 30 miles
To my garage. Great restoration projects. Thanks.

I will be picking up two vintage drill presses that were gifted to me recently.
A Delta 17" floor model and a smaller Walker Turner bench model.

My question is, can these machines be broken down or can I lay them down in the back of a truck?

I'm concerned about laying them down for any oil spills or leaks. Do I need to worry about this or will they be OK.

I'm only moving them about 30 miles
To my garage. Great restoration projects. Thanks.
Same experience for me as jpfabricator. I used to have a 15" Delta and have owned 4 or 5 drill presses over the years. Never had one with a oil filled gear box so you should have no problem laying it on its side. Might be a different story if you had one of those Grizzly gear head drill presses.

Bruce

Thank you. I guess I was thinking Air conditioners? :)
Can the 17" be broken down smaller for transport? Once I get the exact model numbers, I can get schematics from VintageMachinery.org

Most of the heads are removable via some set screws, or pins. IF you can manage, leave it intact it makes for less fussing and fiddling with installation.
My big press (callback style) was laid over on the tailgate with the help of the sellar. The motor and head were laid on a Metal "skid" then we picked up the base and slid it right in. I unloaded it in reverse order with aid from my 9yr old son.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I had to replace the rack on my Craftsman 12" drill press; head came off as jpfabricator mentions with a couple of screws. That would make it easier moving a drill press, they are probably the most top-heavy tool in the shop. It was a no-brainer taking off my Craftsman head, laid it on its side after backing off the screws (onto a piece of plywood), slide the head off the column.

Bruce

Back