Tramming vise on mill

Are you talking about tramming the vise in the x direction while you move the table or the z direction while you move the head? Because in the first case, you're not tramming it to be square with the spindle even though you're putting the indicator in the spindle; you're tramming it to get the fixed jaw of the vise parallel to the x travel.

Are you talking about tramming the vise in the x direction while you move the table or the z direction while you move the head? Because in the first case, you're not tramming it to be square with the spindle even though you're putting the indicator in the spindle; you're tramming it to get the fixed jaw of the vise parallel to the x travel.

Not sure how to say what I mean, but I think we are saying the same thing in your second case above.

Another try:

I buy a vice and mount it on the table. Using my DTI held in the spindle I get the fixed jaw trammed in so that the fixed jaw is parallel with the x movement of the table. Now I make a widget for a project I am working on. When I complete the widget, I clean the table, cover the machine and go on to other projects. Several days, or weeks later I have another project to build. This time I need to make a whatsit, but to do that I have to raise the head of the mill/drill to have room. After I raise the head of the mill (without indicating anything), which of the following is correct?
  • The vise is still trammed for accurate x travel and all that is needed is to find the X and Y edge, reset the DRO and make whatever cuts I need.
OR
  • because I raised the head, I need to use a DTI and adjust the vise to make sure the fixed jaw of the vise will still travel parallel to the x travel

I think the first option is correct, I just wanted to make sure what I think is what is correct.

I also understand that while keeping the same part fixed to the table or vise that raising the head will cause me to need to use a DTI to find the position again, but that's not what I talking about in this question.

This problem is why I got rid of my round column mill, a real pain to reset when you have to move the head

What am I not understanding about round column mills and the need to re-tram your vise when you move the head up and down? You don’t tram the vise to the head, per se. You tram the vice to the direction of table travel. I don’t see how rotating the head changes that relationship. It just changes X and Y zero coordinates, doesn’t it? Can’t you just re-zero your dials or DRO with an edge finder, like has been suggested? Or is re-zeroing being used interchangeably with re-tramming?

Tom

What am I not understanding about round column mills and the need to re-tram your vise when you move the head up and down? You don’t tram the vise to the head, per se. You tram the vice to the direction of table travel. I don’t see how rotating the head changes that relationship. It just changes X and Y zero coordinates, doesn’t it? Can’t you just re-zero your dials or DRO with an edge finder, like has been suggested? Or is re-zeroing being used interchangeably with re-tramming?

Tom

You are correct. Being a newbie I asked to make sure my thought was correct. Raising the head only affects the x/y co-ordinates. Raising the head will not effect the tram of the vise.

Back