Tramming my mill/drill

mickri

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Getting my Excel mill/drill set up. So today I tried my hand at tramming the mill. I have read numerous threads on how to do this and think that I did it right. Because there is some play in the quill I discovered that I got different readings if I changed the direction of rotation. And that I had to be very careful when rotating the quill or I would get different readings. It was a real PIA to catch the indicator tip when it passed over the T slots in the table. Is this normal?
After much trial and error and carefully rotating the quill counterclockwise I was able to get consistent, repeatable readings. I went all the way around several times and watched how the readings changed as I went around a complete circle. Front to back the back was -.001, maybe -.0015 compared to the front. Side to side had the same readings maybe -.0005 compared to the front. I was not able to determine accurate readings on a 45 degree axis to fore and aft, side to side. My dial indicator has a pretty small dial and reads to .001 so it was hard to accurately determine the reading between the marks.
I think that I am good to go here. I doubt that I will ever develop the skill to be able to machine even close to this level of accuracy.
What do you guys think?

Don't sell yourself short.

I used large radiused points on my indicator to get past the t-slot issue. I also looked to not engage the indicator very far so that it wouldn't drop into the slots. If you're within a couple thou in 6" sweep, you probably won't notice any alignment related heeling by your cutter.

Tramming a mill drill ain't for sissies, that's for sure. I have an RF-31 and went/am still going through the same thing. One thing I found is that if the spindle is loose then tramming is difficult to do, simply because the anchor for the indicator is moving around. This is one of the reasons I changed the bearings in the spindle and drive sleeve and it helped. I was able to tram well enough to get tram within 0.0005" in both 45 degree directions. HOWEVER, when I fly cut something it is clear to me the tram is still not close enough so I'm making an adapter to put my Starrett back plunger indicator with a big button tip (like Will said) on a Noga arm so I can get it out about 8-9" from the spindle in X and will attempt to get the tram closer.

Anyway, what the above will do is get the mill trammed at one specific elevation of the head, about mid-point in the travel of the head where I do most of my work. I have to see how off it gets when I move the head. I bought a Precision Brand shim pack assortment and also have onion skin so I am hoping I'll get it near zero in the near future. The question is whether or not zero tram in one elevation will translate into acceptable tram at other elevations. I'll try to document what I'm doing and post it sometime, in case its of interest to other mill drill owners.

Fun, isn't it?

Last edited:
Try using a new disk brake rotor clamped down through the center hole. Measure the thickness of the rotor at several spots and determine if it's within your margin of acceptable error. Your well-used table might not be any flatter than the error of the rotor and it would average out the nicks and bumps in a larger piece of metal clamped to the table.

I talked my to an old friend the other day who is a tool and die maker. I asked him about tramming the mill. He said he never trammed the table only the vice. He has a round, ground piece of stock that he lays on the vice bed or ways of the vise. Not sure if this is good idea or not. Sounded interesting though.

In the future I will probably put a .001 shim under the back side of the column. For right now I am just going to leave it the way it is. I should receive my handwheel and crank within a day or so and will have my mill/drill ready to use by this weekend. I have several projects lined up and will start new threads for guidance on my projects. Thanks for your comments and suggestions.
Chuck

I too have found doing this as you explain not difficult but tedious and time consuming. Therefor I made one of these

I got 2 inexpensive indicators

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301598218762?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

from EBAY for $10.95 each and made the rest from scrap. Didn't do all the fancy stuff in the video, just a basic tool that works great! and a box to store it in. Now I won't hesitate to angle the head whenever I want

Aaron

I talked my to an old friend the other day who is a tool and die maker. I asked him about tramming the mill. He said he never trammed the table only the vice. He has a round, ground piece of stock that he lays on the vice bed or ways of the vise. Not sure if this is good idea or not. Sounded interesting though.

I would say that your friend is in the minority of mill users if he doesn't tram the mill head. I know a lot of mill drill owners tram the vise though, because the tram changes whenever you move the head on the stupid round column. Maybe your friend uses a round column mill? It is definitely easier to tram the vise than to tram the column.

I would say that your friend is in the minority of mill users if he doesn't tram the mill head. I know a lot of mill drill owners tram the vise though, because the tram changes whenever you move the head on the stupid round column. Maybe your friend uses a round column mill? It is definitely easier to tram the vise than to tram the column.
I don't know Mikey. I doubt he uses a mill much at all. If you tram the head to your vise isn't that all you need? Your vise hold your work, no? I'm not arguing I just want to understand why the bed of the mill is more important than the vise.

I too have found doing this as you explain not difficult but tedious and time consuming. Therefor I made one of these

I got 2 inexpensive indicators

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301598218762?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

from EBAY for $10.95 each and made the rest from scrap. Didn't do all the fancy stuff in the video, just a basic tool that works great! and a box to store it in. Now I won't hesitate to angle the head whenever I want

Aaron
I just finished making one of those but I made the mistake of recessing the dial indicators into rectangle piece. Press fitting the rod into the center, meaning it is offset. Now when I rotate the opposite indicator is not on the same spot. Will probably have to make a new one.

Back