Trailer Decking

Thanks gator, yes boards run front to back self tappers every other X member 2x8 pt yellow pine in centers , 2x10 s on sides. Tractor tire took out a couple rotten boards the rest weren't good eather
Kinda looks like you might need a new deck soon those boards look close to the same as mine, :(
Think I'll add another X member in the v , wonder what's stronger pt yellow pine or pt fir ?

Thanks Paco, I thought about steel but didn't want the extra waight, so I'll stick with wood , probably cheeper also , I woulda thought wood lasted a long time in the Desert I lived in Tucson seven years in the 80s .i guess steel lasts forever in desert and wood doesn't. Any how AR gets lots of rain and the original pt pine just rotted out here in CA

I like Paco's diamond plate solution. Fix it once and done. I sold my 8x20 14K to my nieghbor he leaves it with me and is only here two months a year if that. He pays for license, tires, and all materials and I help him with maint, and use it whenever I want. We will probably re-deck it this year, and I'm going to try talking him into doing steel. Mike

Thanks Fomogo, in the desert metal lasts a long time , that's why they mothball aircraft there in Moist states steel will rust thru eventually I've seen several steel deck trailers in AR and CA rust thru .
My trailer is rated to 10k and I have a lot of stuff to relocate, machine tools ,toolboxes , welders , tractor, HD bike, ect,ect , trying for one trip ,dodge 3500 5.9 in shop now getting front end work.

Won't steel or aluminum be too slippery to safely move machine tools? Even with straps.

I would think it would be quite slippery, metal on metal

#1 Southern Yellow Pine is far stronger than Doug Fir.
Besides you can nail cleats to the floor to prevent slippage.
I have re-decked a few with steel and when I painted them I threw on some fine sand Marine non-slip. Not for the load but so people would not slip.It's never dry in Florida.
I was gong to suggest adding some more cross members to the front.
If I did the math right it will take 28 2x8's plus a rip so call it 29.

*G*

My previous neibor had a giant white oak blow down in the mid 80's. He comissionrd a local sawyer to slab it out, and used that for floor boards.
He had to replace them 4 years ago.

Sent from somewhere in East Texas by Jake Parker!

the wood is very expensive but worth the extra $$$,... apitong
it is the toughest wood i ever ran across.
if you make a trip up to san leandro there is a wood dealer up there that hast the stuff.
you'll need some drill bits, and a few saw blades to make a bed of any size, but it will out last the both of us after you're done.

i worked for a forklift repair outfit when i was younger.
one job, i replaced the rotted out deck of a drayage trailer with apitong and pretty much replaced most of the x members due to extreme abuse.
to my knowledge the trailer is still in use....

Back