Toying With The Idea Of A Model Jet Engine

Strtspdlx

Active User
Registered
When I was 15 I saw on the Internet a video of a home built model jet engine. Ever since then I've always wanted to attempt building my own. Not having the first clue in any fields necessary to build one I thought I'd come here and see if anyone had any plans or insight into exactly what needs to be done to build one. Or if you can guide me in the direction of finding information. I'd like to start planning the build and learning what is necessary to correctly build and use one. Plans would be great as I could sit down and study them until I understand exactly what is going on.

Regards-Carlo

I've seen model pulse jet but that is about it.

You have four ways to go here. Pulse Jet is one, Ram jet another, Full Turbine another and then the Turbo Prop. Google Wren Turbines and you will find plans if they are still available. Remember to, you are going to be dealing with metals such as Stellite, This material is super hard and can withstand the extreme heat generated. You have chosen a difficult project to say the least. I will help any way I can. Good Luck Carlo.

"Billy G"

I did the search for you.

http://www.wrenturbines.co.uk/

If you build I want to watch your thread real close, Lots of pictures please. I think this will be interesting. and a great learning item for all you share this with.

Good luck.

I saw a youtube video of one once, the thing spun like 100,000 rpm and I think the builder said it was pretty dangerous. Just saying. It ranked a 12.5 on a coolness scale of 1 to 10 though.

I have previously done some research and watch numerous video on building jet engines out of car and truck turbos. Not as elegant as an model aero type jet engine as they use an external combustion chamber but looked like fun and a lot simpler as you already have a built compressor and turbine sections - never made it to anywhere near the top of the 'to-do' list though so didn't go any further.

To all awaiting any build. I doubt I will start a build for atleast a year at minimum. At this point I'm more researching
My options to see what I can and cannot do. As I do this I will be deciding wether or not I will be able to actually handle this project or if it is far beyond my grasp at this point in life. I'd love to actually build one but like I said I'm not an engineer nor am I a machinist. I tend to think I can do things far beyond my grasp. In my lifetime however I will attempt a build. Wether it fails or succeeds I'd still like to try it.

Regards-Carlo

I went on wrens site and they pretty much tell you exactly how to build one. My knowledge is extremely limited so I feel as though I'm cheating using they're instructions but I think I will anyway. Now I need to read it over a few times and price out materials.

Regards-Carlo

If you go the route of the Wren, the turbine wheels are available from them in various stages of machining. Expensive, yes, but you won't think so after your first cut into the Stellite world.

"Billy G"

I also toyed with the idea and had several plans for some. But did not have the time then and have since thrown out many of the plans. There are several available on the net though.

Back