Toured Larson Engineering @ Boulder CO

rock_breaker

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
While visiting my brother in Longmont, CO he made arrangements for a tour of Mr. Larson's R&D shop.
The tour started in the office with a demonstration on starting with sketches of the end product and a block of material to build the project. Drafting of the project was fascinating and impressive, with the designs being sent to various machines in his shop. Mr. Larson explained how projects were set up on the mills and lathes then the CNC code (?) would be activated to accomplish machining functions and tools used.
I asked if he had done projects for NASA, his answer was yes. Not sure of the client but he is currently involved in weather prediction instrumentation. For a hobby machinist, seeing the work he does and the precision he holds is amazing.
It seems like I have seen some of his computer demonstration before but I cannot place it. I take two of the periodicals by village press and received a promotional copy of Digital Machinist recently, The two periodicals have had interesting articles about computerized machining and drafting in addition to that found in Digital Machinist, this great tour has greatly improved my understanding of the process.
Have a good day
Ray

Back