Touch Dro Fix For Igaging Absolute Dro Scales (i Hope)

JPigg55

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Okay, a little info up front.
A friend of mine at work (thank you Brian Quinn) connected one of my iGaging Absolute DRO scale up to his O-scope.
What he found is as follows:
1. The iGaging Absolute scales are a 52 bit (Mitutoyo protocol) data set (13 digits, 4 bits per digit.).
2. Delay time for read head is 70 msecs
3. Verified clock speed is 2KHz (down from the originals at 9KHz)
4. Duty cycle remains at 20. (used for chip loading function for Tach)
Being a bit of an avid programmer as well, he proceeded to make the necessary changes to the version 3.3 on Yuriy’s Toys Touch DRO site ( http://www.yuriystoys.com/ )
While perusing the site, he noticed Ryszard’s update link. He said that version did a much better job at averaging the data sets for a more stable reading/output.
(Ryszard Malinowski has made significant upgrades to my original Arduino v3 sketch. His version handles HAL sensors and low RPM much better than the original version. The documentation and the download links can be found on his website (http://www.yuriystoys.com/p/downloads.html)

I deleted the sketch as it won't work in the current format. Getting closer and will continue to update until it works.

Last edited:
Thanks for picking up the ball and running with it!

Awesome, please let us know how the testing goes!

JPigg, thanks for keeping at it! I'm waiting with baited breath. I might dive in and make one of these things sometime this winter.

Chuck the grumpy old guy

I'm hoping to finish one of my controllers this weekend and test it out.
Brian told me today there may be an issue with the number of digits per event, but would be an easy software/sketch fix if it doesn't work.
BTW:
I forgot to mention, the magnetic strip on the scales is number encoded. This is where the Absolute value comes from.
This means that it should not lose position even with a power loss, therefore, the battery back-up add-on isn't needed.

Well, didn't finish my controller. Messed up and used the standard build instructions instead of the wireless. There are differences.
I did, however, put together a single axis feed on an electronics learning test board I have from RadioShack.
It powered up and transmitted to mytablet and interfaced with the Touch DRO APP, but the reading jumped all over the place.
Going to take a little more adjusting to the sketch (and possibly the hardware). Will keep updating as the testing progresses.

Second program fix done. Hopefully get it connected and tested in the next couple days.

Thanks JP for keeping us informed of your progress.

One controller build complete.
Tried to re-flash new sketch to Arduino board, but issue with long integers being too long.
Another fix in the works.
Hopefully, third times the charm, will keep you posted.

Latest rev of Arduino for igaging Absolute scales ready. This one compiles without any errors.
Loaded it up last night and tried testing it, but had issues with the Bluetooth module due to mistakes in my build.
Will attempt to fix hardware issues today and re-test.

Back