Tormach TTS superfly

rogee

Active User
Registered
Has anyone used a Tormach TTS superfly? Your opinion would be appreciated.

I have not used them personally, but they look pretty nice. There is a video in the "Knifemaking Tuesdays" video series where John uses one (actually, I think he has used them multiple times).

Here is the video, should start with him loading the plate he is surfacing, if not, fast forward to 1:29 in the video.

[video=youtube_share;cdiFm4yA6z8]http://youtu.be/cdiFm4yA6z8?t=1m29s[/video]

No but I saw the Tormach Co. vid on Utube I was impressed.

No direct experience, but a guy in our local home machining club got one a few months back and is very happy with it.

I broke down a bought one :whistle:

Tried it out today on some 6061 using the aluminum inserts, and was very impressed.

Got one for my 1100. I can rip off 5-6 cu in/min of 7075 with it with the 1100 in the middle of its max torque sweet spot. As NYCCNC says, at that point you're not making chips- you're making chunks. Sounds like a great big wood planer eating oak. Demo'd that to some guys in a commercial shop up the road- they were thinking of an 1100 for die making- they couldn't believe the performance.

Great finish too. Not bad when roughing, but if you tweak it and take a light cut with a new insert the shine will frost your eyeballs.

I have a new Tormach 770 vertical mill. I bought the Superfly and I love it. The only problem was my own, when I initially installed the insert holder with the insert facing down (against the work piece) instead of 90 degrees to the work piece surface.

Watch your feeds and speeds and don't overdo the depth of cut.

It's a great fly cutter and I have no regrets about purchasing it.

James

I recently purchased one. So far I only used it once to face a pc of HDPE which is super easy stuff to cut. That said, it left a super nice finish but only in one direction. I guess that's one way to know if the machine is in tram and mine obviously needs some tweaking!! :D
The fact that the TTS geometry is integral makes it nice and somewhat justifiable. The real magic is due to the insert geometry. Other than the insert its just a garden variety fly cutter.

Back