1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Tormach Superfly Cutter On 1hp Machine?

Discussion in 'QUESTIONS & ANSWERS (Get Help Fast Here!)' started by higgite, May 17, 2016.

1. Groundhog

Groundhog United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Salina
    State:
    Kansas

-Return to Top-

I just bought the inserts Tormach sells with the Superfly. As I said above, the inserts sold for aluminum work great. I haven't done much with mild steel (used flood coolant). Results were just OK, but I wasn't trying for anything special so my speeds and feeds were just guesses. I.m sure I could have improved the finish with better machine settings. Haven't done any other materials. Sorry, I'm in a rush so didn't look up the part numbers or specs on the Tormach inserts.

2. wildo

wildo Active Member Active Member

City:
    Indianapolis
    State:
    Indiana

-Return to Top-

Correction- NCM325 is also appropriate for cast iron whereas NCM335 is not. Therefore I actually ordered the NCM325 grade.

3. Doubleeboy

Doubleeboy Active User Active Member

City:
    Eugene
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

I have a super fly, I use Korloy inserts from China on ebay, 2 bucks and insert, same one Mikey uses, I calculated horse power use on a finishing cut, well under half horse, I get a darn near mirror finish in aluminum, using mist coolant, taking a cut of a few thou and feed of 5IPM, The key for me, maybe not others, is tilt your head out of tram just barely and cut so the back side of cutter arc does not touch work, only feed in one direction. Mist coolant helps blow the chips away so you don't drag a chip around scratching your just milled pretty surface. Like most everything branded Tormach its way over priced, but it is a very nice tool, just buy your inserts elsewhere.

mikey likes this.
  4. cjtoombs

cjtoombs United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Ridgecrest
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

This is my opinion, so take it at that. I think the reason that Tormach developed the Superfly is that their mill (even the 1100, which I own) is very underpowered at low RPMs. This is due to the properties of the VFD speed control. This is also true of most any variable speed control that changes the motor speed, not the belt ratio. The problem is that if you are cutting steel at a 3" diameter with a HSS tool, you are in a speed range where the Tormach has very little power, and it just doesn't work. They needed a fly cutter with carbide tooling to get the surface speed, and thus the RPM range, up to where their mill has enough power to run it. I believe they also engineered it specifically to have low cutting forces by using heavily raked inserts for the same reason. So low horsepower mills, especially ones that have variable speed and give their power ratings in watts (these are usually input watts, not output horsepower, which depending on RPM will be less than half the direct conversion of wattage to hp) should benefit from the Superfly by allowing you to cut steel (especially harder steels) at the proper cutting speeds. It is less a problem on aluminum, since you can cut it at much higher surface speeds. I have the Superfly and use it on both steel and aluminum, and I like it. I bought my inserts from Ebay for a fraction of what Tormach charges.

wildo and mikey like this.