Topcraft's Newest Toy

'Topcraft

Registered
Registered
I can't believe I found this. I have been looking for a mill for a 24' x 26' shop for a while now. I have Quite a few woodworking tools in there and a Atlas 10-d, so space is limited. I have always thought the ideal (for me at least) would be an atlas horizontal. I have been looking on Craigslist and E-bay, estate sales, you name it. I decided to expand my search and check Craigslist for Chicago. ( I live in Wisconsin). I found a MFC in awesome shape. with everything it should have. Two arbors, a box of about 20 arbor spacers, the arbor support casting, all the knobs, and handwheels. Everything looks as it must have when the machine was new. Original paint, everything. I was a bit stunned. This thing looks like it was hardly used, and well taken care of. The factory scraping is still visible on the ways. I was in love. When I said I would take it, he told me I could clean out a large drawer in a toolbox at no extra cost. That ended up being 3/4 of a 5 gallon bucket full of horizontal cutters of every size shape and description, also endmills 2,3 and 4 flute I could barely lift it. And to my amazement, all were sharp, and no junk. I kept asking if he was sure, and his reply was that he had no use for them. The fun didn't stop there as he told me that he had a Bridgeport M head with a mount that fit the mill and he would make me a good deal on it. I snagged that also. He also threw in a atlas drillpress that has all the parts I need to rebuild the one I already own at no cost. I am still stunned. Things like this never happen to me. Awesome gentleman, and he knew exactly what he had, just had no use for it anymore.

I posted pics to an album, I'm not too good at this yet so I hope you can find it.

You lucky dog. Kind of rare to find them in that good of a condition.

Thanks, I feel really lucky. He also had an atlas shaper sitting there that was in the same condition. Not for sale tho. I never saw so many cool old machines in one place before. When he opened the overhead door of the building and I saw what was inside the first thing I said was " You must be single". Really nice guy, I wish he lived closer so we could have talked more. Then again, my wife might think he would be a " bad influence " LOL .

Back