Tooth count for 14" Vertical Band Saw

You could slow the RPM down a bit by changing the pulleys but still not slow enough to cut mild steel

I disagree with that. I used a combination of what Jack and Frank did. I added a shaft and changed the pulley on the motor. I got the SFM to 118 which works fine for steel. Oh, and I also use Lenox blades because they're made locally.

Pulley1.jpg
Pulley6.jpg

Changed the pulley on the motor to the smallest I could find, and the pulley on the driving wheel to the largest I could fit into the belt guard cabinet.

Changing pulleys the way francist described above will slow down the RPM, no if and buts about it. it will be slow enough to cut softer metals like Aluminum . adding a jackshaft is going to slow it even further, but that is a combination the two, (adding a jackshaft is something that I didn't think about and failed to mention ,sorry) , pulleys alone can only slow it down to a certain RPM.

Last edited:
use doall 6 pitch, make my own blades, silver solder them together. I have a 3 wheel craftsman which i added a thread mill motor and works great.

I would love to make that mod with my bandsaw, have gone as far as changing the pulleys with my bandsaw and never went any further than that mainly because I still wanted my modification to be contained within the motor compartment, adding a treadmill motor seems to be the cleanest looking modification that can be done to a woodworking bandsaw .

if one were so inclined, a 3 phase motor and a VFD would make an excellent drive system for any materials to be cut.
the price may be prohibitive for new components, but with some diligence an inexpensive system can be obtained from used components for the ultimate sawing experience

why waste your money on vfd dives when a lot of treadmills are free off the curb

Back