Tools that make my job easier.

La machinist

Registered
Registered
Thought I'd share a tool that measures wall thickness. A ultrasonic thickness gauge. When I drill a blind hole ( no drilling all the way through a solid part ) the drill may walk so I have to use a 4 jaw measuring wall with this then off set o.d. Till i.d. Runs true. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412991523.777245.jpg .. I'm checking o.d to I.d. Thickness here

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412991523.777245.jpg

Cool beans. Looking forward to more. I don't have one of those and have not even know of them before this post. Keep 'em coming please.

Any idea of the cost of that set-up? Trying to decide whether to get one or wait a bit. Ouch!!!!MX-3 $1,450.00 Dakota MX-3 Thickness Gauge Complete Kit, that was a really bad come- upance.

Bob

ahahahahahahahaha. I wondered the cost for about 1min. Then I figured what a good digi height gage cost and concluded it had to be way more then I would be willing to pay. But when you need one, you pay what them folks want.

Cool tool all the same

Interesting gizmo! Don’t have one of those in my piles! I have a kinda similar, but it’s for checking car paint thickness and Bondo. I think the mods should get together and buy one as a prize for the “ULTIMA Hobby Machinist”!

I have a couple of those, T-Mics. Can't recall the maker, but they are not cheap. I used it in a similar fashion as La does, except I did have a thru-hole, but after roughing and heat treating, the only way to get a straight ID was to bend them straight, according to the ID. Using a Tmic, the thick wall should indicate a high spot where the OD should be cut. It was always bad looking when the parts came off the press all bent up, but when the OD was finished, it was running true with the ID. These parts were 7-8 feet long so there was no way to get an indicator all the way in to measure ID/OD runout.

Probably not all that useful for hobby work, but for the tool junkie......indispensable.

You just had to show me a new tool that I didn't know existed. Now I'm going to have to have one.:whistle: There goes the tool budget again.

Back