Tools Getting Stuck In Ts Quill

Splat

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
So my tools keep getting stuck in my Heavy 10 tailstock quill. I gotta always take the quill lock parts out, and remove the quill to get the tooling out. Is there any tips or tricks for preventing this? Thanks.

do the tools have a tang, on my mill when you back it out with a tanged tool the tank pushes against the back of the tailstock and pushes the tool loose.

Need to add some material to the end of the tailstock screw. Guessing about 1/8" to 1/4". I have the same problem with my TS and it's almost to the point I need to fix mine too. It's a 9" SBL. I'm thinking of tapping the end of the screw for 1/4-20 and putting a short socket head cap screw in the end.

Yes, all but the centers have tangs on them. That's a good idea, Ken. I'll have to see if I can rig something up like that!

i have a couple tools that need the same treatment to be used effectively in my hercus (sb9 clone)
a long MT2 taper seems to work fine but a short MT2 is out of the question.
for the mean time i use a short hunk of 3/8 steel rod between the tool and the ramscrew, i'll extract the rod piece with a magnet when necessary.

I have the same problem, on my Logan lathe, with a couple of MT tapers, for the tailstock. I just use a steel ball, from an old bearing. When you remove the MT taper, the ball follows it out. No need for fishing, with a magnet. ----- John

Waterlooboy, now that's a great idea. I gotta try that. Thanks!

Back