toolpost grinding - wear on grinding media?

lodcomm

Registered
Registered
Hello Folks,

I have a question on toolpost grinding: I am planning on making a light grind (.001 - .002 total) to true up the 10 degree taper in the mouth of my import 5C Collet chuck. I have fabricated a mount system to securely mount my Electric Die grinder on my AXA Phase II tool post. I will set the compound to the 10 degree taper, and then proceed with the grind.

I would also like to true up my 3 Jaw chuck by loading the jaws and grinding as well:

My die grinder is a simple chicago electric 25,000 rpm 1/4" chuck/collet die grinder.

- What is the proper "stone" to use for this process?

- How does one deal with wear/decomposition of the grinding stone during the grinding process?
IE: If I dial in .0005 of crossfeed, and start running the grinder (and grinding) into the mouth, how do I adjust for wear on the grinding stone - will the stone not decompose a measurable amount between the start and end of the grind?

thanks!

-todd

I wouldn't necessarily trust the markings on the compound to hit 10°. Put an indicator on the existing taper. Be sure it's on center.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tony Wells link=topic=721.msg3788#msg3788 date=1296688193 said:
I wouldn't necessarily trust the markings on the compound to hit 10°. Put an indicator on the existing taper. Be sure it's on center.

Yes,

I'll sweep the existing taper using a test indicator and adjusting the compound until I get 0 travel along the entire length.

thanks!

-todd

Last edited by a moderator:
When I grind jaws or whatever, I rig up my shop vac at the outboard end of the spindle. The wet newspapers work well.

Back