• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Guest,  We want to wish You and Your Family a Healthy, Happy Thanksgiving! Click the "X" at the top right corner to remove this notice)
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Toolmaster 1D - "As the Spindle Turns"

Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Skyboy

Marty Mayes
Yeah, I think I'll turn this into a soap opera. Maybe the title should be "As the Table Feeds"
Connected electrical power to my table feed gearbox. Re-wired motor from 440v to 220v. power it up and motor runs, gears turn. No broken gear teeth. Looking good so far. What the heck, I have the table leadscrew cleaned up and back in, so installed the stack of gears on the end of the leadscrew, table driveshaft and hung the feed gearbox. It seems to move the table left and right. Missing a few small parts, snap rings, a spacer, a thrust bearing, and the biggie, a handwheel. Still a ways to go, the gearbox needs clean out and fresh oil. This is the first time the x-axis feed has been on the machine since I've owned it. Amazing, lol. FullSizeRender (5).jpg

Chipper5783

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Very nice, love to hear the rest of the story. The Cinci 1D is an excellent machine.

Skyboy

Marty Mayes
Today's episode: Looking ahead while waiting for parts. This is why I don't have a handwheel for the left end of the table (see pic). If I had the missing spoke, I could just braze it back together but I don't. Brainstorming ideas because I've looked for a Cinci handwheel for a couple yrs, lol. I could make one out of plastic but people might think it's an import clone machine. Generic handwheel from ebay? Make one from scratch?

IMG_2676.JPG

whitmore

Today's episode: Looking ahead while waiting for parts. This is why I don't have a handwheel for the left end of the table (see pic). If I had the missing spoke, I could just braze it back together but I don't. Brainstorming ideas ...
Since you have one intact original wheel, you have the option of bulking it up a little (Bondo or other
filler, to make it a nice convex-ish item) as a pattern for casting. Any cast iron shop can handle
that, fairly easily and effectively. It's still a machining project to finish it off, of course.
For symmetry, you might make two or three, and fit the machine with the best matching pair.
Then you could offer the original on eBay...

Granddad replaced one of the wheels on his lathe with a cast iron... sewing machine wheel. It
never looks right, to me (and it doesn't much resemble the original part, either).

Lurking on eBay for a few months might be rewarding, of course. Or, look for a cooperative
scrapyard.

Uglydog

Active User
I'm for casting one. Alternatively you might try V notching and TIG welding, then grinding it on a cylindrical grinder.
The quality of the cast iron should be good enough for a good TIGer to do well with. Unlike many of the new castings.
Unfortunately if TIG is attempted and fails. Then using it as a pattern for casting isn't going to happen.
Have you got a lathe? Have you considered turning one?

I sold my 1B when I got a 1D. Great machine!!!

Daryl
MN

Silverbullet

It doesn't look to hard to make one , the cost of a chunk of cast iron. Why not make it yourself. That's what I'd do.

Skyboy

Marty Mayes
Been busy but shortly after getting the feed gearbox mated to the table, found the feed was jumpy in a couple of the feed settings. Needed to drain the oil anyway so pulled the cover and down in the sludge found some broken gear teeth. I'm sure replacement parts are a fantasy so I'm going to attempt to repair the feed gearbox. That's actually an understatement. I'm committed to making this original gearbox work so if anyone has any $0.00 advice, I'll gladly pay for it!!

This is hobby mill, will never see any heavy use so not looking to bring it into "like new" condition. Just want it to work so even JB weld has crossed my mind, lol.

If I had to guess, the table was fed into a stationary object until the gear teeth broke. The broken handwheel on that end of the table is also indicative that the feed/table/handle experienced a traumatic event at some point.

Here is the start: gear cluster "A" in the Cinci Toolmaster 1D parts manual. It's probably the part in the gearbox that's in the worst condition. IMG_2763.JPG

Groundhog

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
One of Keith Fenner's old videos shows him brazing a solid chunk of brass where a few broken gear teeth used to be, then cutting new teeth in the brass. From that picture it looks looks you might even be able to make the necessary teeth by hand using a file (after brazing up the bad area of course. Keith Fenner's youtube channel (you will have to find the proper video on your own!!); https://www.youtube.com/user/KEF791/featured
Here is a link to a similar video by Keith Rucker (that I haven't seen);

Good luck!

Silverbullet

YUPP grinder out and build up with brazing , there are different rods get the hard bronze. If you have too .you can hand cut them . Die grinder or dremel . It would be a great shaper job.

Uglydog

Active User
I strongly recommend the brazing option.
Especially if you are only looking for a few teeth on such a complicated gear assembly.
This has worked very well for me. Note: that you need to calculate DP and carefully manage set up with a DH.
The math and machinist gurus here at HM were instrumental on making this happen for me on a VN.
I'm monitoring this thread carefully as I've got a Cincy 1D and expect similar to happen here in my shop.

Daryl
MN

Uglydog

Active User
Skyboy,
Are you comfortable doing the brazing and cutting these teeth?
Please ask if you need any assist.
I may not have an answer. However, there is likely someone here at HM who will.

Daryl
MN

promaster60

Iron
Registered Member
I had the same issue with my toolmaster 3 or 4 cluster gears had teeth missing i made all new gears out of 4140 prehard on my fellows gear shaper it must be the weak spot on those mills my mill has the shaper on the back end

promaster60

Iron
Registered Member
I had the same issue with my toolmaster 3 or 4 cluster gears had teeth missing i made all new gears out of 4140 prehard on my fellows gear shaper it must be the weak spot on those mills my mill has the shaper on the back end

Attachments

Skyboy

Marty Mayes
Daryl, the biggest obstacle for me is spare time! I'm fairly sure I can repair the gears, I've considered making more from scratch so no reason why it can't come up with a workable solution. The table feed gearbox is really quite simple.

Skyboy

Marty Mayes
Groundhog - My old machine shop instructor mentored me on braze and teeth recut with a worm gear way back when. It came out amazingly well because the worm gear was bronze to start with!! Almost could not tell where the repair started.

Thanks for the great links, I can view some of these while on the road.

Last edited:
[6]
5 [7]