Toolmakers Vise Material

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
What would be a good material for making a vise?

One of the tool steels. I used A2 because I had access to it. And a heat treat oven at the time.

I had access to O1, used it for the body and all the parts, the jaw inserts got glass hard, the body I annealed to about RC 35. It only opens one inch. is two inches wide. I can't find a picture of it right now.

Last edited:
One of the tool steels. I used A2 because I had access to it. And a heat treat oven at the time.
A2 would be a very good choice for a precision toolmaker's vise. It has good dimensional stability, is air hardening, and can achieve high hardness.

Very nice looking Tom.
The only tool steel I've machined is O1. How does A2 compare?
I'd like to harden it but don't know if it is necessary.

I do not have any acme taps or dies for the lead screw. I do however have some left over 5/8-10 RH acme precision rod left over from my surface grinder job. I could buy a brass insert and press it into the lead screw block. Then I could buy a few acme nuts to fit onto the screw to make my handle proper.
The other option is to just single point a 60° thread.
Suggestions?

I have left hand taps if interested.......1/2 and 5/8 I believe, but would have to verify tomorrow.... will probably never use them again, but willing to loan

Thanks Richard but my acme rod has RH threads.

Started my vise toady and man those A2 chips are more like dust.

Back