• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Guest,  We want to wish You and Your Family a Healthy, Happy Thanksgiving! Click the "X" at the top right corner to remove this notice)
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Toolmakers Vise Material

Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
What would be a good material for making a vise?

kd4gij

Active User
One of the tool steels. I used A2 because I had access to it. And a heat treat oven at the time.

T Bredehoft

Active User
I had access to O1, used it for the body and all the parts, the jaw inserts got glass hard, the body I annealed to about RC 35. It only opens one inch. is two inches wide. I can't find a picture of it right now.

Last edited:

Bob Korves

One of the tool steels. I used A2 because I had access to it. And a heat treat oven at the time.
A2 would be a very good choice for a precision toolmaker's vise. It has good dimensional stability, is air hardening, and can achieve high hardness.

ddickey

Very nice looking Tom.
The only tool steel I've machined is O1. How does A2 compare?
I'd like to harden it but don't know if it is necessary.

ddickey

I do not have any acme taps or dies for the lead screw. I do however have some left over 5/8-10 RH acme precision rod left over from my surface grinder job. I could buy a brass insert and press it into the lead screw block. Then I could buy a few acme nuts to fit onto the screw to make my handle proper.
The other option is to just single point a 60° thread.
Suggestions?

Richard White (richardsrelics)

I have left hand taps if interested.......1/2 and 5/8 I believe, but would have to verify tomorrow.... will probably never use them again, but willing to loan

ddickey

Thanks Richard but my acme rod has RH threads.

T Bredehoft

Active User
How does A2 compare to O1?
I'd like to harden it but don't know if it is necessary.
If the A2 has been normalized, (the way you bought it) it should be easy to work. I've not had the privilege of using it so I'm not sure. The major difference between the two is the hardening process. O1 hardens when quenched in oil. A2 hardens when removed from the heat source and waved about in the air. (air hardening) Both should be ground after tempering, (raising to about 500º F and letting cool naturally. Grinding is necessary because they swell slightly when hardened.

[6]
5 [7]