Tooling Up for the MFC Atlas Mill????

Welcome 34-40,when you can please post some pics of your mill and maybe share how you come across it.One of the many things that makes Hobby-Machinist website fantastic is posters like yourself and the membership that helps us through and learn today,tomorrow,or whenever.Myself I know nothing about how to use a mill or anything about end mill holders or cutters.What I would like to find out is if I can get by with only one mill holder say a 1/2,then purchase end mills of different sizes but with 1/2 shanks.Learning as I go-----kroll

Welcome 34-40,when you can please post some pics of your mill and maybe share how you come across it.One of the many things that makes Hobby-Machinist website fantastic is posters like yourself and the membership that helps us through and learn today,tomorrow,or whenever.Myself I know nothing about how to use a mill or anything about end mill holders or cutters.What I would like to find out is if I can get by with only one mill holder say a 1/2,then purchase end mills of different sizes but with 1/2 shanks.Learning as I go-----kroll

You can read all about the dilemma here! http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php?t=21602 The same guy that shared pics with you ( LJP ) owned my mill.

And yes, you can buy 1 or 2 cutters or end mills and work with them and then buy more later. It becomes more costly buying things piece by piece but sometimes you have to do what you must!

Well I be,I remember reading it and feeling sorry for you cause that has happen to me.(except I never got a second chance). Like alot of people here LJP is a class act for giving you first chance,this story has a happy ending for you,so congrats on your new mill----kroll

Here's a new made over arm support:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atlas-horiz...2?pt=BI_Tool_Work_Holding&hash=item563f162270

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a DVD I am really enjoying! It's the most I've ever paid for a video & I thought long and hard about it. But I now think it's worth every penny to a new Atlas mill owner.
Rudy is super easy to understand.
Now I want all of his videos & hope someday to buy one or more of the combo sets to save a bit.
I can almost promise you won't be sorry if you order one!

Have fun! I use mine all the time & love it!

http://bay-com.com/pid/72/machining_machine_lathe_milling_machine_lathe_operator_grinding.html

Bradrock, LJP and I were just discussing that very video. I'm glad to hear it's helpful, 'cause the price is a bit steep! But I may re-consider now.

Did yours come with the blueprints for some parts?

Kroll,

Yes, if you look hard enough you can probably still find 1/2" shank end mills in various diameters. But at least new they are likely to be more expensive. And with flats for set screws likely yet again more. It is easier (and probably cheaper) to find them with smooth shanks in 1/16" increments. I.e., 3/32" dia. cutter with 1/8" dia. shank. My suggestion would be to buy a 1/16" increment set of 2MT collets.

Robert D.

What I would like to find out is if I can get by with only one mill holder say a 1/2,then purchase end mills of different sizes but with 1/2 shanks.Learning as I go-----kroll

I have a bench mill and a knee machine. I purchased a set of ER40 collets and use the one set for both machines. The only additional thing I had to purchase was the collet holder but by having one set I don't have the extra cost of two sets. My reason for going with the ER 40 is that I can change everything at the bottom of the quill without having to reach up to the top and loosen the draw bar as it always stays tight. There are probably some that would rather use the collet with the taper for the machine, but I like my set up. I do note that both machines have an R8 taper so I could still use a set of R8 collets, but I would still have to loosen the draw bar and I don't like do that.
I have two and four flute cutters and prefer the four flute if I don't have to start in the middle of a piece of work because they are faster. There are some very large lots of cutters on Ebay but you have to be careful. The pictures are deceiving and many that look sharp and good are not. I had to return one lot and was out the shipping but it would have cost me a fortune to send them all out and get them sharpened. What fooled me was the cosmolene (? or what ever it's called) on the end of many of the cutters. I thought they would all be in good shape but they were not. My worst two problems is that I am not good at sharpening bits of any kind so it is trial and error and the second is patience that I don't have and don't see any on Ebay either. There are companies that sharpen bits but I have no idea how the cost would relate to having it sharpened against buying a new one. Best bet is to have someone show you how to sharpen them (cause you're going to have to at some point) and next get a grinder with a good wheel and designate it for ONLY sharpening but and not for general grinding keeping a dressing wheel handy to keep it flat.
Just my 2 cents.

I'll have to google ER40 so that I can see what they are,I sure like your ideal of not having to change the MT#2 collet each time.Plus what I have read if I remember correctly is the holding power is better.Thanks for responding----kroll

The ER type collets (they come in several different basic sizes which all take different collet chucks) work sorta like the collets in a Dremel, except that they are double ended. If the chuck is 2MT, then it requires a draw bar and stock cannot be passed through them. If that is an issue and you decide to go with one of them, I would recommend a threaded chuck instead of 2MT. Since a milling machine normally holds cutters, not a workpiece, in the spindle (unlike a lathe) that shouldn't be an issue. Unless you also have a 618 and want to use the same chuck with it.

Otherwise, changing ER collet sizes probably takes a little longer than changing MT collet sizes. But their clamping diameter range should be a little greater than an MT.

Robert D.

I just bought a Atlas MF horizontal mill. All the info you guys put out will really help me. My son went and picked it up for me and it's still at his house. I can hardly wait to get it.

22687711_10102292835731039_1379026244773014669_n.jpg

Back