Tooling Sources--Recommendations to Buy and Avoid?

ACHiPo

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
The Harbor Freight pass/fail thread has been interesting--I've got a 44" tool chest and 4x6 band saw on order as a result--so I'm wondering about others' experience with import tooling sources. What is recommended from Shars, Grizzly, etc.? What should be avoided? What should only be purchased from US/Europe sources (Starrett, Brown and Sharpe?)

Specifically I want to pick up some 1-2-3 and 2-4-6 blocks, sine bar, and other set up and measurement tools, as well as a ball-bearing center (avoiding the term "live" ;)). Shars stuff seems interesting, but I haven't purchased from them before. Not sure how they compare to Grizzly, Jet, or other importers?

In today’s world, it’s hard to avoid buying import. Even some of the familiar USA names farm out to be made overseas!!! If you have the time, I would patiently surf around fleabay and look for the secondhand good old USA made stuff….Dave.

I have not been disappointed by anything from Shars. I can't imagine you would be disappointed with Shars for those items. My experience with Grizzly is limited to woodworking machines in other people's shops, but has also been consistently favorable.

I have a co-ax indicator and thread pitch micrometers from Shars with no issues. I have digital (tumbler style) mic's from Grizzly, no issues. Have some Harbor Freight digital calipers that seem to be OK, but prefer my SPI 6" with about 3/4" tall numbers. Sine bar from ENCO is OK. Lots of parallels and tool holders from CDCO, no issues. My mic's are from various sources including B&S, Mitutoyo, Starrett and no name import. For what I fumble around with I've never had any issues with the import stuff.

Bruce

My used Grizzly lathe has a Shars 6in self centering chuck. I am happy with this chuck. The seller often comments he really misses that chuck. His new lathe has different spindle so he had to let it go when he sold the lathe to me.

Since getting the lathe I have purchased a number of items from Shars. Most recently a milling vise. I have been happy with all the items I have purchased.

CDCO is often less expensive. Perhaps not the same quality as Shars. Can be difficult to tell.

I purchased a number of items from Grizzly until they closed the PA store. I valued being able to visit the showroom and see the items before purchasing. Now the showroom is closed, other sources are less expensive than Grizzly. I have normally been happy with the items purchased from Grizzly. Any source can have some items which are not so good. The one item I am disappointed with from Grizzly is a dial protractor. I do not know who made this. The hook lock on the protractor does not engage well so can slip. May be bad design or bad manufacture or both. I need to make a replacement part - one day......

I purchased a lot of items from ENCO until MSC closed them down. I find MSC prices high and there "Up to x off" sales confusing. The site software resets the price to some catalog price, which is higher than my shown price, then discounts - if the item is relevant to the mystery sale discount.

I have also purchased from Victor Machinery. I have been happy with the items.

I have not been disappointed with anything I have gotten from Shars.
For a hobbiest the stuff is fine. Probably will order a quick change axa wedge type tool post from them for my southbend lathe. I have a 6" 3 jaw scroll chuck from them on my south bend lathe and I'm happy with it. My mics are a mix of starret and mitutoyo. But i think i have a plunger type indicator from them.

Last edited:
You are going to find that in just about every category of tool or equipment, there will be one make or model that is the standard. You may not need that standard or want to spend the money but it is always good to know what it is.

In our hobby, you can only cut as well as you can measure and the best source of information I know of for measuring tools is http://longislandindicator.com/. Here, you will find information that will allow you to make an informed decision. eBay is probably the best place to buy these tools/instruments but Amazon can sometimes beat the cost of new eBay tools. Many hobby guys seem to think that because they're just hobby guys and not pros, a cheaper tool is fine and there is nothing wrong with that. However, precision is precision and where measuring tools are concerned it pays to buy good stuff and buy it only once.

There will always be a standard tool or brand to know about or compare to. For keyless drill chucks, Albrecht is it. For an affordable boring head it is Criterion. For the best 6" dial caliper, look for a Tesa. For the best DTI, look for Swiss-made tools. There is a really good "something" for everything we use; you just have to search for it. If you are patient, you can find this "best" tool on eBay, often for less than the Chinese counterpart.

I'm not saying you have to buy the best or that you shouldn't buy Chinese. Your standards, needs and budget will decide that but it is good to know what's out there.

The trouble in my view with the import stuff and also USA made items that are (no name) in tool catalog is that the actual manufacturer can switch and you have no way of knowing. I have bought USA made drills sold by Enco, some were great others were so so. That said I have bought toolholders from CDCO several times over last 15 years and they were all fine, except for the crappy chinese set screws. Grizzly can be okay, but they drop tools left and right and do not stand by products that are no longer in catalog, also if your lightly used tool breaks one day after warranty expires, tough luck, ask me how I know. Its a gamble on ebay, I take that into account on my bids. I have been on ebay for 20 years, only been cheated once, several times less than satisfied, not bad out of hundreds of purchases. I agree with Mikey, if it is not swiss made I will not buy it for dial test indicator, for the reason they are fixable, take a beating with no issues, Starrett and Mit, not so much, China for get it, drop it and its history. Dial calipers the Chinese ones are fine for down and dirty use, The Swiss made ones come out for the real work. Suprisingly Chinese mics seem to be very accurate, problem is they are not really serviceable and have rather squishy feeling threads when closing but for the price they are great way to get started.

I recently bought a DRO from PM that is Chinese, its new and seen little use, but I have it repeating to .0001" over length of travel, not bad for 400 bucks, now will it do that 20 years from now, who knows, but if it does it for half that time I will be happy with purchase. I love my 14 year old Newall DRO but they are now stupid expensive so I went cheap on new lathe. Other folks have sang his praises here many times before, so I will keep it to a minimum, but Matt is great and Precision Matthews/ Quality Machine is an asset to Hobby machinist in USA.

michael

I look at my purchases the same as I look at my job. I don't send out bulletins requesting someone come apply for my position so why would I do it to someone else. I'm fully aware of the exodus of manufacturing here in the US and I'm also aware of why. The machine tool and equipment manufacturing industries took a big hit in the process.

I buy tools and when I am left with only an import choice I try to make the decisions based on warranty. Which corporation I give my money to is important also. If both tools are made in China, do I give Makita who has a 3 year warranty and UL label my money or DeWalt who's maxed out at 1 year and no UL label the money. Warranty and customer service rank high because it says a lot about what is being produced and the ethics that go into the manufacturing process. It's difficult to embrace a manufacturer who produces a precision tool (category) that isn't precision. The same goes for a corporation that allows the manufacturer to set the quality control standards.

My metal work isn't a hobby for me so time is money. I must factor in cost of goods sold, so I know if I choose to spend an extra $1 on a drill bit it's based on the money coming back to me.

I avoid buying from the US as the currency exchange rate and shipping is the killer. I have bought from Shars in the past with no issues in the level of quality for the price. I've bought from Accusize Industrial Tools , in Toronto, same or better quality as Shars , but at a Canadian price , and much cheaper shipping.

Back