Tooling question

Southtowns27

Registered
Registered
Hey guys, as some of you know I just picked up a South Bend 9A. I'm working on getting it set up and need some advice. The machine has a quick change tool post as well as the original lantern style. The lantern style tool holders accept 1/4" square HSS tooling. No big deal there. My question is what to get for the quick change. The machine came with some 3/8" brazed carbide tipped tools, but only a few. Would I be better off picking up more of the same, or should I go for tools with the replaceable carbide inserts? Advantages one way or the other? Or, should I just buy some 3/8" HSS and grind my own? I plan to use the machine for steel, brass, and aluminum.

I'm not an expert by any criteria and have no training but I would suggest the HSS 3/8 bits and grind your own plus a bunch of holders.
Greater versatility in my humble opinion.

Savarins nailed it. Learn how to grind HSS bits then you can make pretty much any tool shape you want. And sharpen them too

Cheers Phil

Hey guys, as some of you know I just picked up a South Bend 9A. I'm working on getting it set up and need some advice. The machine has a quick change tool post as well as the original lantern style. The lantern style tool holders accept 1/4" square HSS tooling. No big deal there. My question is what to get for the quick change. The machine came with some 3/8" brazed carbide tipped tools, but only a few. Would I be better off picking up more of the same, or should I go for tools with the replaceable carbide inserts? Advantages one way or the other? Or, should I just buy some 3/8" HSS and grind my own? I plan to use the machine for steel, brass, and aluminum.
HSS tool bits and a good universal armstrong lantern toolpost and complete set
Grind you own cutting tools

You can even make a jig to help keep your angles straight. I'd say keep the quick change and use your bits in those. That way you can keep some mounted and ready , just drop it on lock and cut. Plus you may be able to use bigger cutting tools. 1/2 " even 5/8" bits if your holders will adjust to center. Lantern tool post are fine but the quick change is just that. You will need some India honing stones for high speed tool bits. For the carbide if you grind them a diamond hone or ceramic. Hand sharpening tool bits is fast becoming a dying art. One reason it's nice seeing guys on here trying them and willing to learn. There are lots of ways to sharpen to make the cut and finish you want. Some materials will need angles or relief on the edge. Hard to teach in a page what takes years of doing and learning. Good luck with your lathe, just please be SAFTEY conscious .

Back