Tooling Question

Tapered end mills are typically used in the mold industry for milling mold cavities, but they can be used anywhere you need an angled surface. It's much easier to grab a tapered endmill than tilt the head on your mill and then have to tram it again. I have a good assortment of angles and use them regularly, particularly in gunsmithing. Tapered end mills are not used for taper pins. Typically taper pins have a taper of 1/4" per foot and require a special reamer to generate the proper taper.

Tom
I agree with TomG tapered mills should be used for side milling , if you try to drill a taper hole they will grab and feed their self in causing a crash and a broken endmill in the hole.

I'll put in a couple of recommendations for fellow English members, if close by...

Technasales in Northcamp, Farnborough, Hampshire, 5 minutes from the M3 motorway, looks like a normal high-torquestreet shop, up front is a new tool sales area, taps, dies, drill bits etc, mainly consumables, out back is the secondhand stock, much the same kind of stuff, but a good part is usually the difficult sizes / standards like Whitworth, BSF etc.

10 minutes away is AHC in Camberley, Surrey, good selection of consumables plus a very good range of fasteners, and guys who take the time to look if you're after something unusual!

Not associated, happy customer etc.

Dave H. (the other one)

Back