Tool Truck Tools

mirage100

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I had a screwdriver that I need replaced so I found the tool truck gave it to him and he said it was not under warranty. WHAT THE %$@)*^%^&. The black handle was all cracked and dried up. The tool dealer said it was from sitting and not being used and not getting the oil from your hands on it. Isaid that was (&#^((^ and I was a dealer back in the 80s . Well he then said he was not suppose to do it but he would warranty but he would have to order a handle. This is a HIGH dollar tool company . Just wanted to pass it along.

You got luckey. Most tool trucks won't warranty any thing unless you have an acount with them.

Really.....the guy is going to order a handle for a screwdriver? Probably will want to install and charge for it so it will be under "warranty". I never understood why mechanics buy tools from the trucks, convenience I guess but you pay a lot for that.

Brian

Last edited:
If it was Snap off I might contact someone over his head. I have never had an issue with their warranty including tools so old and rusty you could barely make out the name.

Another brand I have many of on the other hand...............I have to send away to get them warranted as there is no one else in the area dealing that brand and I suspect after this long without service no dealer is going to be able to make it.

The reason I buy tools on the Snappy truck? I havent found a tool company that across the board makes a better tool . Maybe some other companies make a specific tool that can be better but not across the board IMO. Expensive? Yes. When I make my living with them? No

Yes it is snap-on. Sure is ALOT of trouble to get something warranted

I have to agree with Lowlife here. As a young kid I worked at a body shop cleaning up, washing cars and learning a bit. Any way I had to brothers that also worked there and started the same way. In time they had tool boxes full of nice tools from the snappy dealer. The thing they told me that made the most sense about paying more was, time. yes quality and warranty are a big part of it. but when you use that amount of hand tools on a daily basis well having the tools store come to you is a big plus. You can also (or could any way) put your hands on a tool and test it right there in the shop. That was some 35 years ago and they both still have most of them tools. If you use them don't even think of putting them back dirty.

I had a complete set of Snap-on hard handles(the black handles) that i purchased back in 1978. They all turned white and cracked, then disintegrated. I called the Snap-on warehouse and they said it is a known defect problem and is warrantied. They said we can ship the new handles to you or you can bring them to the warehouse and we'll install them free of charge. This was back in 1999. A call to Snap-on will solve the problem if the dealer tries to charge you.

Snap-on got my business years ago when I acquired a long handled 3/8th drive ratchet that had been sorely abused. the internal drive was shattered and I used it as a "breakover", (I had little money as a college kid). I needed a hammer impact and Phillips to fix my motorcycle so I went looking for the "man". I thought I'd take the little ratchet to see if they sold a repair kit. The fellow took the wrench and deftly ripped out it's guts while telling me that a repair kit wasn't sold for it, as it's shattered parts hit the floor. Crpa! It was still useful as a tool, now it's junk! Then he gets out a repair kit and says "you can't buy it, it's under warranty". From mad to glad in about 10 seconds! He puts in all new parts minus the handle, and yes, I still have that little ratchet. I got the hammer impact and Phillips plus a 1/4 size handle ratchet with a 3/8 drive for those tight places. He had me for a customer for as long as he was the "man".

I don't have many snap on tools but plenty of jh Williams and Armstrong stuff it has served me well over the yrs

Had no luck with butane soldering irons (weller and some other "decent" name brands).
So bought one off Snap off truck. Used it a few times out in the field before it gave up the ghost. Now I'm a bit an.... retentive about my stuff; good quality stuff doesnt come cheap, so try and look after it.

Anyway unit was just over a year old and stopped working. Unit still looked virually new in its box. Always promoted himself as, "will look after you", you know the sales pitch. When put him to the test the guy didnt wanna know me. Yes I was very polite until he said he wouldnt cover it.

Would do the walk around trying to sell stuff on his visits. I think he got the message to give me a wide berth after being told where to go a couple of times.

Back