Tool Posts on Amazon

Thanks for the information on determining the correct toolpost size!

Well this is very strange. I checked the Aloris catalog for the "A" dimension. That source states the AXA toolpost should match up with a lathe having a distance from top of compound to spindle axis of 2 1/2". I just measured the one on my Monarch 10EE as 1 3/8". That's not going to work at all. I wonder if the compound on my lathe was replaced at some point?

Thanks for the information on determining the correct toolpost size!

Well this is very strange. I checked the Aloris catalog for the "A" dimension. That source states the AXA toolpost should match up with a lathe having a distance from top of compound to spindle axis of 2 1/2". I just measured the one on my Monarch 10EE as 1 3/8". That's not going to work at all. I wonder if the compound on my lathe was replaced at some point?
I think you're misreading that 2-1/2" number. AXA #1/#2 with a 1/2" tool bit, and the tool holder all the way 'down', is 15/16 for a #1 holder, and 1" for a #1S or 2S (which take 5/8 tools, the 'S' are the large size holder for aloris, see page 4/5 in that doc I sent).

TYPICALLY you don't have the tool holder all the way down though, so this is the 'minimum' (and doesn't account for the 'big bar' boring bar holders, #4, #4D, and #100, see page 6).

Based on your measurement of 1-3/8", you could do a BXA, where the #1 is 1-1/8", and the #1S is 1 3/16".

CXA is too large, but if you used smaller tools, you could get away with it, for the big-bar boring bar holder, apparently CA series has the center-line of the cutter right at 1-3/8"! I wouldn't suggest that for your small lathe.

I have your lathe's bigger sister the 12CK = 14 1/2" swing.
Aloris suggested a BXA or CXA size for it.
I bought a CXA and it is a perfect fit.
Monarchs have a lot of power for their size. They will carve off a very heavy chip. Whether you ever use all that power or not is up to you but I would buy the heavier BXA tool post.

Whew! That's a relief. Thanks for the explanation Eric. I'll look at the tool holder pages you cite instead of assuming the dimensions on p. 29 are critical.

Do you know what is the purpose of the "A" dimension in the Aloris catalog? I'm sure it's useful information for some purpose, but it's just adding to my uncertainty at this point.

Thanks for your thoughts Ultradog. I'm not certain at this point what size I'll go with. I like nice tools, and want to buy something that will not be a limit on what I can do when I finally get to the point of making chips.

The "A" dimension in the Aloris catalog for the tool holders (not the tool posts!) is essentially the lowest-off-the-compound spot the 'largest' tool's cutting edge would sit. So for normal tools, it is the ' top' of the tool-bit, plus the height of the area under the tool bit. For the boring-bar holder, it is the centerline of the boring bar (since that is where teh cutter is going to sit!), plus the area under the boring bar.

The "A" dimension on the tool-posts themselves is just the width of the tool post (which might be where the 2-1/2" comes from?). You don't want this to be too much larger than your compound dimensions (you want the post mostly supported by the compound), but otherwise, I don't know how relevant it is. "D" on that might be relevant, in that if the T slot in your compound isn't large enough, you won't be able to put the correct sized bolt in the center of it, and would have to sleeve it.

"C" might also be relevant, as you don't want your holders to sit too high and not be fully supported, so that would help you avoid getting 'too small' of a set.

ALL THAT SAID: I agree with Ultradog: Larger tool posts are better for rigidity. The tool holders themselves end up being way more expensive (for example, my CA tool post was a shock to me, where even teh cheap import holders are $35/ea, whereas BXA is 1/2 that!).

ONE THING TO CONSIDER: I wish I'd thought more about the Multifix tool posts: http://www.createtool.com/list.asp?cid=33

They are a bit more expensive, but they seem to be REALLY useful/flexible. You won't be able to easily make your own holders with it, but the additional utility seems nice. BUT, by the time I discovered them, I was already nearly $1000 into my CA setup!

Multifix from Create Tool is the way I went and I've been very happy with it. I had a Phase II+ AXA wedge type holder and it was fine but I'm happier with the repeatability of the Multifix.

Multifix from Create Tool is the way I went and I've been very happy with it. I had a Phase II+ AXA wedge type holder and it was fine but I'm happier with the repeatability of the Multifix.
Yeah, as someone doing a couple of repetitive tasks right now, I would LOVE to have a repeatable angle. I keep switching between a turning took and a thread cutting tool, and the angle has to be different for each. The Aloris style is NICE for this in that I get the heights consistently, but I'm constantly having to reset the thread tool...

I pulled the trigger on an eBay Phase II BXA wedge-style tool post, with 5 holders. It was ~$380 with tax and shipping. Thanks for everyone's thoughts!

I pulled the trigger on an eBay Phase II BXA wedge-style tool post, with 5 holders. It was ~$380 with tax and shipping. Thanks for everyone's thoughts!
I believe that you will like that. Congratulations!

Back