Tool Post?

PAturner

Registered
Registered
Some of you may have seen the lathe I just got- I'm wondering what to do tool-post wise. It came with a lantern/rocker style post. I will be buying some hss bits to grind into cutting tools but I'm not sure how they're actually held in the post. The seller gave me an arm that goes in it but the hole in it is for an absolutely tiny carbide tool. I'll do a search as well, but if anyone has any instructions, tips or advice on using this kind of tool holder it would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you plan on doing many of the same parts daily that require several tool changes, say drill turn and face, bore and part, if not use what you have.

A quick change tool post merely makes it faster, not more accurate.

Ok. Any tips on how to best utilize what I've got though?

Generally folks have a left and right facing tool holder as well as a straight one and one to hold a cut off blade. And a boring bar holder (not shown).

tools.jpg

There are a lot of references available on how to use them. This is one of the classics. It may be in the download section but I can't find it. Download it now as it may be deleted from this post.

Attachments

• How to Run a Lathe - 1928.pdf
    16.2 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Alright, seems like it's time to head over to eBay and take a look at some tool holding bars. Is it discouraged here for me (or anyone) to post the pictures of items on eBay and ask for advice? Like, "would this be a good buy" type stuff?

Is it discouraged here for me (or anyone) to post the pictures of items on eBay and ask for advice?

Not at all, recommended actually. Saves mouse clicks;)

I found a QC tool post much easier to use than the lantern. The problems I was having with rigidity and getting the height of the cutter right were solved by the QC. It took me several years to convince myself to spend $150 for the QC. But in hindsight I should have done it immediately when I got the lathe.

Not saying that lanterns are bad, but they do seem to require more operator skill than the QC.

As an interim measure, you can hold your toolbit directly in the lantern's slot by shimming it up to center height. You will need a longer bit to clear the compound. If you don't want to spend money on the conventional QCTP, the Norman patent design works well and can be made entirely on your lathe.

PAturner,
The people on this sight are always willing to help when they can. Whether it is a technical issue or just advise, we will all be glad to help or give opinions. Pictures are always appreciated when possible. As they say....A picture is worth a thousand words. And solves a lot of questions.

I'm very pleased I stuck with a lantern until I had consistent results. Yes, it hurt. And I still make all kinds of errors!
Finally went to a square turret, and eventually started sometimes using carbide.
Then moved to a QCTP.
It has helped me understand tool cutter angles and why things do/don't cut well.
It's like learning to use a hacksaw and file before being allowed to touch the machines.
I have much to learn and am far from competent.

Daryl
MN

Back