Tool Post Mounted Grinder

lockstocknbarrel

Active User
Registered
Hi everybody, I'm a Toolaholic.
I saw this holder for sale on eBay and decided to build it to suit my Emco Maximat Super 11.
Over the weekend I grabbed a piece of 7075 Aircraft Aluminium (I love machining this stuff) 25mmX12mmX150mm and bored a hole to suit the thread on my Cordless Dremel 800 tool, the thread was 3/4X12tpi, (Check your own Dremel as there are 2 thread sizes 12 & 16 tpi) after machining the thread, I needed to make a spud to rotate the tool holder to round off the end as per the photo below.
This has been a very quick project, and with it being mounted in the QC Tool Holder it is easier than setting up my Tool Post Grinder to do small jobs, it also now gives me the ability to drill any part that is mounted in the chuck or do division drilling on the lathe.
If this has been posted before then sorry for the repost.
Kindest Regards
Beagles

Dremel-Tool-Post-Holder-#1.jpg Dremel-Tool-Post-Holder-#2.jpg Dremel-Tool-Post-Holder-#3.jpg Dremel-Tool-Post-Holder-#4.jpg

Very elegant looking! I tried my hand at making one. I was really disappointed as it works but even if you cover you lathe, it seems to get grit everywhere.

nice work
Bryan

DSCN6710.jpg

That is ONE SLICK IDEA, think it will be copied a lot; I know it will at my place, thanks. That, and a degree wheel on a chuck will make lots of things here go easier.

Thanks a great idea will have a go at making one myself.
Ian

I bought this Craftsman 1/4 hp die grinder in about 1977. I've been waiting for it to die but it just keeps going.

Lathe is Birmingham 12x36".

DSCF2161tp-vi.jpg

DSCF2167tp-vi.jpg

DSCF2170tp-vi.jpg

DSCF2161tp-vi.jpg

DSCF2161tp-vi.jpg

DSCF2167tp-vi.jpg

DSCF2167tp-vi.jpg

DSCF2170tp-vi.jpg

DSCF2170tp-vi.jpg

Nice Dutch,
Top job on the machining.
I have seen several other variations since this post, use what ever you all ready have as the grinder and just adapt to suit your lathe.
Kindest Regards
Beagles

Beagles & Dutch

Getting a hold of the grinder can be challenging at the best of times. Both are good examples of different ways to do this. Crafty idea,s guys!

Ha, all very pretty - now here's the get-er-done version that has worked so well 10 years ago, that I've been using it ever since and never took time to make it better. I've come to love these little snap rings too. They are simple, cheap and effective. The little diamond disks are an HF special. This is on 3/16ths rod but on bigger stuff, I just walk the post a little and voila a nice snap-ring groove....Bruce
genera02_small.jpggenera04_small.jpg

genera02_small.jpg genera04_small.jpg

Back