Tool Post Grinder

current_resident

Registered
Registered
Finished restoring the tool post grinder I got for the lathe. I don't know much of anything about it, other than it is a Southbend. It's missing the motor tension adjustment hardware, and I can't seem to find a picture of it anywhere, so I am using a bolt currently. I don't know if I'll ever use it, but much like the lathe, it was given to me, so I'm only out the cost of the motor. The motor is NOS, from something, not a grinder. I had to get creative to mount it like it was originally. tpg3.jpegtpg1.jpegtpg2.jpeg

Wow. First, that is about as nice as Atlas lathes come, you have a beauty. Second, that is the nicest tool post grinder setups I've ever seen- I've only used Dumore types, that one can do radii and more with its mount arrangement. It's a heavy unit with a big wheel compared to the 1/15th HP Dumore Tom Thumb that you'd expect to see on an Atlas. That lathe looks like a dedicated grinding workcenter as you've arranged it.

That's for the feedback! I've been through every nut, bolt, and screw on the lathe, taking it back to good shape. Not totally restored, as I want it to look like a working machine. With the exception of the bed and motors, every painted surface was degreased and blasted. Then painted with Massey Ferguson Grey. It is Majik Implement Paint, purchased from tractor supply. Takes a while to dry, but fairly durable once cured.

That's for the feedback! I've been through every nut, bolt, and screw on the lathe, taking it back to good shape. Not totally restored, as I want it to look like a working machine. With the exception of the bed and motors, every painted surface was degreased and blasted. Then painted with Massey Ferguson Grey. It is Majik Implement Paint, purchased from tractor supply. Takes a while to dry, but fairly durable once cured.
You did a wonderful job. You should be very proud of that grinder. I was thinking of ways to put a grinder on my atlas 12" 8foot bed lathe that I'm restoring. Those grinders really come in handy. Thanks for sharing the pics

Very nice work on the grinder referb
Beautiful machine you have there!

I like those blue oil cup thingies- where did you find those?

Back