Tool Post Grinder -Making a new one...

Actually... I been thinking about that a lot. If you look in there, I put a shoulder step in there to prevent the race from seating completely flat at the face. My initial thought was that a small gear puller mechanism could be used to pull it out. In hindsight, I've never seen a puller that small and would probably need to make something. -So only then, after I got a chance to lay eyes on it, did I start thinking about a couple screw holes.

I'm thinking screw holes would make life a lot easier but, I haven't researched the oil seals yet and don't know if they'll be large enough to cover-up the screw holes.

---Still thinking about this one... And I might just make a special tool to remove the race....

Ray

Just a thought, but have you considered putting a couple of holes through for bearing race removal?

Nice design and workmanship Ray. On the oil seals, in such a dirty environment, (grit from grinding) would a felt wiper be better? If grit gets under the felt it tends to impact into the felt where it won't score the shaft.

Greg

How about 3 tapped holes that you could thread bolts into to press the race out?

Here's the body piece, 1" wide. For an oil seal between the main pieces, I'll make a circular groove at the same radius on each mating surface then, I'll fill it with some permatex.

As for oil seals... If you look at the front piece, I made a groove for an O-ring and I'm still looking around for some proper oil seals. -Just haven't gotten around to it.

Indeed, I could put some holes in there to assist removing the race but, I'm leaning toward making a special puller. I made a step in there so the race won't seat totally flush and leaves room for the lip of a puller. We'll see...

Also, yes, I left room between the shaft and the opening in the housing to put a felt ring in there.

Finally, I'll have to work on the safety shield next. -Can't work on the 3rd piece of the body because the rear bearings have not arrived and I'm not cutting metal until they're in-hand and specd-out.

B1.JPG

Ray

B1.JPG

You could mill out a pair (or three, depending on your puller) relief arcs that would allow a deeper engagement of the puller jaws.

You could mill out a pair (or three, depending on your puller) relief arcs that would allow a deeper engagement of the puller jaws.

Wooo, now that's a good idea! I like that... I'll give it some good thought. Thanks!

Now, for another matter... Wish me luck on this. I haven't TIG'd aluminum in a dog's age. Just tried a couple similar practice pieces and it took a while just to get the settings pretty close. -When will I remember to write these things down? I want this to look nice so, I'll practice a good bit before taking the plunge.

Anyhow, don't laugh too hard but, I do not own a metal roller bender so I bent this by hand over a pipe. It actually fits the circle pretty well. I sure hope I don't screw this up...

G1.JPG

Ray

G1.JPG

... The PDF should show the whole picture pretty clearly but, I did not include the wavy pressure spring that keeps the shaft and taper bearing under load...

PDF?

Don't you need that spring pressure to take-up the bearings' radial clearance?

Yes, it will be needed and it will be included. I didn't feel like spending the time to model the wavy-washer in CAD -and I couldn't find one in the parts library so, it wasn't included in the diagram (which I posted here as a PDF).

Ray

PDF?

Don't you need that spring pressure to take-up the bearings' radial clearance?

Sorry Ray, been busy with the Tool and Cutter Grinder, I missed the start of this. Looking good so far. When I open the files all I get is a white page with the title at the top?? Any ideas ??

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:
Back