Tool Post For My SB 10" Lathe

Canuck75

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I was given this old tool post with the idea of using it on my 10" SB lathe if possible. There is no brand name or any markings of any kind to indicate by whom or where it was made. By a stroke of good luck the post fit the SB compound rest perfectly and can use up to a 3/8" tool bit at centre height. It had 4 positions located by the inset balls, and, of course, any angle by loosening the centre bolt. The four detents for the balls were 5 plus degrees off the square of the block, for some reason, so thought I would fix this (anal), and ramp it up a bit at the same time. There was room for extra detent holes, so, after having the old holes welded up and resurfaced on my SB lathe, I then used the mill to machine in 16 new pockets. This gives an index every 22 1/2 degrees. Not terribly important, but gives a little bit of utility to this old tool post. The 4 screw holes in the sides of the upper flange of the first picture use set screws into an internal collar to lift the block upon releasing the handle. I know the detent holes overlap a bit (3rd picture) but it was necessary to make them this depth to still be able to use a 3/8" tool bit - those balls are solid, not spring loaded, and thus govern the ultimate height of the block when locked down.

IMG_1533 - Version 2.jpgIMG_1537.jpgIMG_1538.jpgIMG_6589.jpgIMG_6642.jpg

I know it is just a basic tool post but it seems to be of reasonable quality. Anybody any ideas where it might have come from?

Canuck75

IMG_1533 - Version 2.jpg IMG_1537.jpg IMG_1538.jpg IMG_6589.jpg IMG_6642.jpg

Back